The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this an enthusiasts club or a closed shop!!

VIL

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but who joins a forum to something they havent got??

FAO ANIMAL: the pirate thread was fukin genius

I dunno Blackie i joined before i got a supra,however i did have one before,had i known of this clubs existance i would of done a bit more investigatory work before i bought my first one,however no such mistakes were made on my second purchase due to everyones genorosity in offering their advice which no doubt has stopped us all at some point making mistakes which invariably we all make at times.You show me a man who has never made a mistake and i will show you a man who has never made a decision.

I dunno Blackie i joined before i got a supra,however i did have one before,had i known of this clubs existance i would of done a bit more investigatory work before i bought my first one,however no such mistakes were made on my second purchase due to everyones genorosity in offering their advice which no doubt has stopped us all at some point making mistakes which invariably we all make at times.You show me a man who has never made a mistake and i will show you a man who has never made a decision.

that is very true i have bought some sheds in my time.

thats why i joined a good forum got some advice and bought a great supra :)

An example IMO (in my opinion) of unfair comments/posts is below. The person asks a valid question and people shoot him/her down.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125081&page=2

I think you miss the humour in it ;)

I know her, sometimes off topic is hjust that. Those that have banter with others or get on well with many people leave the chat and silly comments out in the tech sections, but O/T is pretty much anything goes.

Text speak to me is like another language. I don't wish to learn another language, so I just ignore posts containing it.

My personal opinion is that it comes across as childish and lazy.

If people can't be bothered to put the effort into writing a post, why should I take the time to read it?

There is a world of difference between honest spelling errors (or foreign members struggling with the English langauge / dyslexia) and text speak.

Text speak? You can keep it.....

Well this is turning out to be one of the most sensible and fairly reasoned 'complaint' discussions posted on the forum for a very long time! :)

For what it's worth I do not like to see txt speak on the forum, whether from newbie’s or longer term members. I'm a member of quite a few forums and this one is a far, a far better place to be than many of the others - unfortunately many of the ones that were 'respectable' 2-3 years ago have descended into txt speak/chav hell. The MR2 forum is a prime example of how things can change in a short space of time (though there are still many good members, it's swamped by morons who can't string a sentence together)

I agree with all the points Class One made earlier in the thread so there's no need to restate them :D

My personal opinion is that it comes across as childish and lazy.

If people can't be bothered to put the effort into writing a post, why should I take the time to read it?

There is a world of difference between honest spelling errors (or foreign members struggling with the English langauge / dyslexia) and text speak.

Text speak? You can keep it.....

Exactly.

Everyday I receive Emails from Japanese work colleagues that have a far better grasp of the English language than some of the idiots that post on here, and they've been taking lesson for less than a year...

Spelling mistakes and grammar don't really bother me, if they did I wouldn't post myself :D Not much of an effort to proof read what you've written though.

Anyway, I only visit occasionally now. Mostly because I don't have the time, but also to see if there's any interesting single builds.

A lot has changed in 8 years.

i did the original post for this, thats howcomes i'm a shitstirring club member ;) also, we all have had shit off other members (i still do) but its all fun and i expect it worms out wa+kers

You did the original post about this did you? I'm afraid not squire, you've only been a member a matter of months. ;)

Not read all of the posts, but IMO there are some very judgemental people on here with attitudes more suited to a snotty golf club:p

However there are also some very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable people on here to, and i would hope to include myself amoungst them,

I have belonged to a few clubs over the years, and most seem to have there content of people who seem to enjoy coming down on anyone deemed to be "different" i will point out that i am against text speak, and would appreciate a reasonable grasp of the language, and i don't like the boy racer/chave element, but i don't think we have that many anyway, as the real ones don't have enough command of English to converse anyway!

I do think there is an attitude here that is a bit to quick to jump on people who are of strong personality or are not as educated as some or have other problems,

i suppose its the "pack" mentality, and i for one would like to see less of it.

As for our large store of knowledge, from experience, i really don't think the Supra club has anymore "expertise" than a lot of other car clubs.

Just my ten pence worth;)

I've seen two things in this thread that prompt me to reply.

One - A few people have made unfounded comments about "witchhunts", giving a "lambo owner shit", and even naming Jake and Michael as a reason for someone not signing up. And yet when actually challenged for a link to these events the original poster goes quiet and doesn't respond. So, well, where are those threads? I'd quite like to see them, so I can get both sides of the story. They do exist, don't they?

Two - seems to me no-one can see the irony and hypocrisy that is rampant here :) Once again. Let's run through a nice simplified case:

Person A - the txt spkking n00b

Person B - the long term member

Person C - the good samaritan tree hugging liberal hippy

A: "wkd gud innit gnna gt m3 a wikkid sik soop"

C: "Before anyone say anything, A can speak exactly how he wants! It's A's human rights to talk like that! You should tolerate it in silence and put in the effort to translate it! You have no right to interfere in what A says or the way he says it!"

B: "That's great but I can't understand what he says and comes across as a retard."

C: "B you simply cannot speak like that, you aren't allowed to say things like that, it's wrong to say that, A doesn't have to tolerate it and you should get a good slap for doing it!"

B: "But C, you just said that people could speak however they wanted and it's their right"

C: "LA LA LA IM NOT LISTENING YOU VERY BAD MAN LA LA LA"

Priceless. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you defend some spaz from getting attacked because they post illegible tat, you HAVE to defend someone else's right to call them a fool, or you are simply being totally hypocritical and therefore worthless :) And in turn that means you are attacking yourself as you say people can say what they want and then that people can't say what they want :blink: You carebears ;)

-Ian