The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this an enthusiasts club or a closed shop!!

VIL

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i first joined the club i must admit i used to write a few words in txt form. This doesn't mean i'm a chav because i'm far from it, I hate the little Ba**ards:)

Its just that i wasnt aware that people hated it so much as i was new to the world of tinternet and had never even used a keyboard before. I think some of the members on here should be slightly reluctant before they call the newer members chavs Because its not fare if they dont even know the background of someone.

As for the spelling side of things, My spelling is pretty bad sometimes, And i have had some pi$$ taking for it in the past. But now i try my best and thats all you can do to try and fit in and not upset to many people.

I remember one argument i had with someone on here about rap music. I got alot of stick because i said i like rap and R,n,b. One of the older and wiser members told me to "go get a gat and shoot my n*gger bitch up" and they weren't song lyrics, It was being nasty not to mention racist.

Funny now, but when i think back i was so shocked:)

When i first joined the club i must admit i used to write a few words in txt form. This doesn't mean i'm a chav because i'm far from it, I hate the little Ba**ards:)

Its just that i wasnt aware that people hated it so much as i was new to the world of tinternet and had never even used a keyboard before. I think some of the members on here should be slightly reluctant before they call the newer members chavs Because its not fare if they dont even know the background of someone.

As for the spelling side of things, My spelling is pretty bad sometimes, And i have had some pi$$ taking for it in the past. But now i try my best and thats all you can do to try and fit in and not upset to many people.

I remember one argument i had with someone on here about rap music. I got alot of stick because i said i like rap and R,n,b. One of the older and wiser members told me to "go get a gat and shoot my n*gger bitch up" and they weren't song lyrics, It was being nasty not to mention racist.

Funny now, but when i think back i was so shocked:)

I don't get the rap music arguement personally. I seem to write good enough posts to keep people happy and yeah I listen to rap music as well (Ice Cube, NWA, Eazy-E, non of this vanilla ice crap :p), so who ever said was probably just taking the mick and not being overly serious I wouldn't have thought. Besides most of them older ones are cantankerous old foggies *grin*, just kidding..... :)

ORLY? Sure you're not exaggerating again?

This is not a moan as such but sometimes I just don’t get some people on this forum?

I am constantly surprised at some peoples reactions to new members when they come on the forum for the first time introducing themselves. These people have obviously found the club and registered their interest and I am sure want to get to know its members and benefit from what the club has to offer.

However, time after time we see people immediately digging at them, commenting on their spelling or punctuation….the list goes on! Why?

As an enthusiasts club we should be welcoming all comers and building the user base as much as possible, not putting people off immediately and slamming the door in their face.

I just don’t get the initiation ritual of ‘piss taking’ as I for one would never join a club who jumped on my every sentence, my spelling or gave me grief on my first few posts.

My personal opinion is that this club is the sum of its parts and if we are to encourage new members then a modicum of tolerance and understanding would not go amiss.

I rarely feel the need to comment but recently I have seen a few posts where this issue seems to be getting worse!

Rant over :)

Michaels post linking to the similar thread started last year was a catalyst to introduce some changes to the forum, including the addition of Homer, WSB2 and myself to the moderation team and the introduction of a new members forum, where n00bs can introduce themselves etc etc etc.

Where the odd n00b has posted in text speak, then generally most members have given a subtle hint or been forthright, that txt speak isn't encouraged here.

There is nothing wrong in setting a standard and suggesting that txt speak isn't encouraged or accepted here. That's not being elitist, nor does it preclude a certain section of the population from joining up and becoming active members of the forum. There are a number of members who have dyslexia, or where english is not their first language, but they still make the effort and should be applauded for that.

I can't remember any specific threads recently where the ritualistic piss taking as you put it has occurred.

I did ask one new member recently to try and make a bit more effort to post in a manner that made his posts at least legible, because all his previous posts appeared to be gibberish. Turned out he was Portuguese, but he had quite a grasp of txt speak, but seemed unable to formulate a sentence beginning with a capital letter or have any punctuation whatsoever. IIRC, it was Geneb who asked me to "go easy on him as he was foreign", and I believe Jake replied something along the lines of "well just because he's foreign he would have still been taught how to put a sentence together." Hardly a witch hunt nor being pedantic.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1592317&postcount=176

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1594473&postcount=127

There's nothing wrong with the club and it's members setting a baseline. After all, it's all our club at the end of the day and there is already a vastly diverse membership, but there's nothing wrong imo of trying to maintain that.

And I can assure you that the club is going from strength to strength with the amount of new members regsitering with the club. :)

An example IMO (in my opinion) of unfair comments/posts is below. The person asks a valid question and people shoot him/her down.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125081&page=2

I think it boils down to the fact that I am just a bad person!:rolleyes:

I posted in that thread and although my first comment was my shock at the snotty attitude to Rob's attempt at humour! My second post was more relevant to my personal experience!

I have started a lot of threads and there are a lot of comments that aren't particularly helpful but just scan through them and pick out relevant ones! What's the problem? It's a public forum!!

H.

i did the original post for this, thats howcomes i'm a shitstirring club member ;)

I think you've graduated form a sh!t stirrer an attention whore now! Congrats!!:D

I think people are getting a little over sensitive. There is always going to be "banter", it's a part of life!

Just smile and get over yourselves!!

H.

thank you half-arsed (sorry i mean havard) it means so much to me ;). as i was told you need to think of this forum as a pub, you will get tossers but you will also find some nice people

I hope you never get offended by my pi$$ taking Blackie! I try and spread a bit of sunshine and it's nice to be liked! I would be upset if anyone took my comments literally!

Maybe that is the danger of posting with people who don't know you......:blink: I have made some great friends since I arrived here and thankfully no enemies (at least I hope not as I'd want to know why?)

H.

I hope you never get offended by my pi$$ taking Blackie! I try and spread a bit of sunshine and it's nice to be liked! I would be upset if anyone took my comments literally!

H.

no i like you funny enough, you've got spunk!! shame your a northener. heres the original repost

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=118661&highlight=new+members+problems%3F

Part of the problem is the fact that this is a written media and there are a few of us with a very dry sense of humour and this can come across badly, especially to those weak-spined, lilly livered, pc tree-huggers. :p All the social circles I populate rip the shit out of each other on a regular basis (especially the bikers) - give it back or take no notice of it.

i only joined this club 2 weeks ago without owning a supra and was very welcomed.

now i have a uk spec tt and posted some pics up got lots of very good comments and congrats.

because of the kind of car the supra is maybe we are just trying to cater for the more mature members not young twats living pipe dreams of maybe owning a supra one day after puberty.