The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this an enthusiasts club or a closed shop!!

VIL

I can see both sides Vil.

Sometimes, like you, I cringe at what some of us "oldies" say to new people, and I think there are a (very) few people on here that are really brave when sat at home on their PC, but wouldn't dream of being so off-hand if they met the same person in a pub.

On the other hand, like many, I hate the thought of the club being "taken over" by chavy texters who are more worried about their street cred than anything else.

In the ideal world, we would all cut everybody a little slack until they proved themselves (or not) but I don't have huge sympathy for anybody asking " wots it wurf then" but that may be my advanced years !

G

Thanks, this is effectively the attitude I like to think I take with new people.

I like this club, its members, the meets etc but sometimes find myself mystified at some peoples immediate reactions and comments to people they dont know.

I just think that a club is just that and should be open to everyone who owns a supra, wants one or shows an interest.

Not everyone has had a university education or can express themselves in pure Queens English but does this then not qualify for them to join a car club?

I agree that TXT speak or slang is poor and sometimes diffcult or annoying to read and should not be encouraged. Although there are polite and positive ways to address this and look to build on the clubs membership rather than the current aggressive, piss taking ways used.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone has had a university education or can express themselves in pure Queens English but does this then not qualify for them to join a car club?

I don't think this is the issue as such, after all if you can string a sentence such as 'Ur a complte noobie, catch l8r', then you should be able to write it in normal words. I do understand that in some cases there is a language barrier, but those people try their best. The txtspeakers in the past have been of the attitude - 'Well this is how I speak GET OVER IT'.. Not all mind you, but a good few.

I agree that TXT speak or slang is poor and sometimes diffcult or annoying to read and should not be encouraged. Although there are polite and positive ways to address this and look to build on the clubs membership rather than the current aggressive, piss taking ways used.

Tolerance perhaps for the first one or two, but after seeing fifty would people still have the same tolerance?

hmmm... i do agree with some of this but not all. :p being a newbie myself I do see some answers and cringe but having read the forum....(alot!) thats just how those people are!

I see forums like a playground. You don't just go barging in on the first day of school and tell the popular kids what to do.... sit back, asses the surroundings then move in for the kill :sly: more effective! You get to see who's the geeks, who's normal:search: and who to be wary of and what kind of responses these people are likely to give.

I myself haven't been on the receiving end of any such abuse..... to use a word.... and some of the threads have had me in stitches!

Agree on the txt speak. Why doesn't mawby try what another forum I use and used a word filter. Its quite amusing when someone puts m8 in a sentence only for when its submitted it reads knobber!

Agree on the txt speak. Why doesn't mawby try what another forum I use and used a word filter. Its quite amusing when someone puts m8 in a sentence only for when its submitted it reads knobber!

I don't like the text speak either, and what your suggesting could be really amusing. They won't like it up 'em Mr Mannering!

I find it amusing that most of the people who use txt spk come storming into the forum pretending to be Mr Big Potatoes, then at the first sign of hostility towards their utter bollocks way of writing, storm back out again like pansies.

Maybe it's just me but that doesn't show particularly strong character. We're better off without them IMO.

Guest Chumpalot

Too much emphasis is placed on a newbie's first few posts. They're words on a screen. They could be totally different in person.

As Supragal said, everyone should be given the chance to introduce themselves and if necessary, change the way they communicate on the forum. Shooting them down at the earliest opportunity isn't going to help matters.

Being a very noobie noob I thought I would put my views across:

1. You were all noobs once and like everything fresh blood is needed to keep a body going (whether the old peeps like it or not)

2. Most of the people I have met here are really nice... some seem to be the 'big bully' of the sand pit.

3. Some noobs really bring it on themselves.

4. Not all noobs are Chavs!

5. I really need to work out how to sign up properly for this site :search::blink:

1. You were all noobs once and like everything fresh blood is needed to keep a body going (whether the old peeps like it or not)

We would like to see new members, simply put we wouldnt like to see assclowns ;)

2. Most of the people I have met here are really nice... some seem to be the 'big bully' of the sand pit.

Most people are nice, and some people who seem arses are also nice :D

3. Some noobs really bring it on themselves.

Absolutely!

4. Not all noobs are Chavs!

True. Check the new member section, see how many sarcastic or nasty comments are there. one in recent months that i can think of.

5. I really need to work out how to sign up properly for this site :search::blink:

Click Club members

Incidentally, why the hell is my post count still something like 13 a day when I hardly ever post anymore?

It's because you were a post whore in the past Charlotte!!:)

Its an average hun, so takes a long time to rise or fall :)

Mine doesn't!!:D

With regard to the noob argument. I have only been here a year and although I am never away.......I have never really been offended by anyone and hope I have never caused offence either!:rolleyes:

Either I have a thick skin or I am lucky enough to have stayed out of some of the argueing!:)

Basically my rule of thumb is not to post anything I wouldn't say to someones face but I appreciate when you are new it must feel a bit intimidating!

H.

I cannot stand txt talk, it's really 'gr8tin'

I personally think the standards of the club should be upheld as much as possible, compared to other forums this place is very good.

I try to welcome most n00b's to the club when I can, but if their first post is some gangster, txt talk crap, I tend not to bother. I also try to help members where I can with questions, but if someone cannot be bothered to construct a sentence in a legible form that I can understand, then I usually don't bother trying to decipher it and move on.

Basically my rule of thumb is not to post anything I wouldn't say to someones face but I appreciate when you are new it must feel a bit intimidating!

H.

That's kind of what I can't understand about people like GENEB who was apparently very nice in person. If you have to be someone so completely different to who you are in reality isn't that a tad strange?

That's kind of what I can't understand about people like GENEB who was apparently very nice in person. If you have to be someone so completely different to who you are in reality isn't that a tad strange?

Maybe some people enjoy having an alter ego!:rolleyes:

I'm meeting up with Andy for the first time on Saturday night, I'll let you know if he's a nice guy or not after that!!:D

H.

I can name a few other members like that, and as you said it is a bit strange. Excuse the pun but you have to follow through what you say, other than that you are just false if you say it on here then shy away face to face.

Maybe some people enjoy having an alter ego!:rolleyes:

I'm meeting up with Andy for the first time on Saturday night, I'll let you know if he's a nice guy or not after that!!:D

H.

Well, good luck. :)

There's no way I'd meet up with him, purely because he seems to be a bit of a freak (meant in a nice way of course).

This is not a moan as such but sometimes I just don’t get some people on this forum?

I am constantly surprised at some peoples reactions to new members when they come on the forum for the first time introducing themselves. These people have obviously found the club and registered their interest and I am sure want to get to know its members and benefit from what the club has to offer.

However, time after time we see people immediately digging at them, commenting on their spelling or punctuation….the list goes on! Why?

As an enthusiasts club we should be welcoming all comers and building the user base as much as possible, not putting people off immediately and slamming the door in their face.

I just don’t get the initiation ritual of ‘piss taking’ as I for one would never join a club who jumped on my every sentence, my spelling or gave me grief on my first few posts.

My personal opinion is that this club is the sum of its parts and if we are to encourage new members then a modicum of tolerance and understanding would not go amiss.

I rarely feel the need to comment but recently I have seen a few posts where this issue seems to be getting worse!

Rant over :)

The difference being old chap is that you can string an actual sentence together to make your point. Even in the face of all chances and provocation the people that catch the crap here be they newbies or oldies are the ones that write unintelligible tripe (better known as bollox). I'm sorry if it offends or appears elitist but the club just doesn't need the forrest gump of the year award winners that join up on occasions.