The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member with cambelt question.

Guest Damien89

Guest Damien89

Hi to all of you. My name is Damien Falzon And i live in Malta Europe.

A friend of mine has just bought a 1996 RZ-S Supra TT.

He is going to change the cambelt and on the service manual the procedure tells you that you have to take the cam and crank pulleys off. Is that really neccesary?

If yes, why?

Thanks!

Guest suprarebel

best thing to do like i did....GET MECHANIC TO MESS WITH IT!! easier that way my mechanic did mine in about hour i also had alternator belt changed aswell?cost me £180 thats with VAT.. GOOD LUCK

Guest suprarebel
My friend is a part time mechanic but we are not understanding why you have to remove the pulleys?

when i spoke to my mechanic he said nothing about him removing anypullys?very easy job he said

Hi to all of you. My name is Damien Falzon And i live in Malta Europe.

A friend of mine has just bought a 1996 RZ-S Supra TT.

He is going to change the cambelt and on the service manual the procedure tells you that you have to take the cam and crank pulleys off. Is that really neccesary?

If yes, why?

Thanks!

What the others have said.......

Also if you do not know already its worth knowing that the engine is a non interference one and so if the cambelt were to break it will not cause serious ie piston/valve damage.....

having just done the answer is as stated above, the cam pulleys do not need to come off but unless you somehow cut the lower cover in half you need to take the crank pulley off to remove that cover and hence get to the belt. Bit of a poor design in my opinion as a split cover would save a load of knob ache.

having just done the answer is as stated above, the cam pulleys do not need to come off but unless you somehow cut the lower cover in half you need to take the crank pulley off to remove that cover and hence get to the belt. Bit of a poor design in my opinion as a split cover would save a load of knob ache.

even if you could remove the cover with the pully in place you wouldnt be able to get the belt off?

Seriously get a garage to do it. It is an easy job except removing the crank pulley bolt which is done up stupidly tight.

I had a 6ft scaffold pole on my socket, and all it was doing was slipping the clutch. I gave it to my mechanic friend who also had the same problem.

Gave it to Toyota they did it in 1.5 hours and charged me £150.

As a bare minimum if your friend wants to have a go, you need to be able to lock the engine up completely, just using the car in gear wont work!!!

best thing to do like i did....GET MECHANIC TO MESS WITH IT!! easier that way my mechanic did mine in about hour i also had alternator belt changed aswell?cost me £180 thats with VAT.. GOOD LUCK

That's not fantastic advice for someone who is going to do it himself and is asking a tech question about the procedure is it.

And quoting the cost of a local garage for someone in Malta isn't overly helpful either. C'mon :)

-Ian

Guest Damien89

Thanks for all the replies guys.

My friend changed the belt in 2 hours and i had my first ride in a Supra!

All i can say is WOW!

The power curve is so smooth! No lag just pure power as it was intended.

• 2 weeks later...