The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox rear seal.

Jake

Seems that my gearbox is leaking a little fluid from the rear seal, where the propshaft connects to the box.

Is it likely to just need the seal replacing or could the problem be something more serious?

Is replacing this seal a DIYable job?

Can the seal be changed OK with the box in situ?

Any special tools required?

Thanks

I had this done on mine about 18 months ago Jake. Had to have two goes at it as I tried it the first time without a special tool. I had to put it all back together and get a special tool made up to get the flange off, as it will not come off without a fight. I had a 1/2" sheet steel bracket nmade up that fitted to the 4 flange bolts and then had a giant bolt in the centre to pull it off. It even needed a small amount of heat before it would shift the thing.

When you do the selector seal double up, put the new seal over the top of the old. There is a deep hole in the casting so no danger of the origianal being pushed through. This tip is also mentioned on Supraforums.

Yip, I said to the garage doing the work about this. Not had a single drop since.:cool:

Jake mine was leaking when i first got the supra.

Took to mark @ phoenix and he replaced both the seals for a Very good price.

Is worth doing both the selector seal and the rear prop seal

9 times out of 10 tho its the selector one.

Dont leave it too long as the oil will start to damage the gearbox mount

Ryan.