The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Probs starting

supradibbs

as the car is lying around alot its being a bitch to start after alot of rocking etc it starts some kinda sticking relay purhaps?

Went to turn it over tonight and was making strange noises from the passenger footwell?

Any suggestions?

Dude if you are reading this can you give me a call please

01903816871:)

Could be the starter solenoid contacts.

Over time they end up getting a bit burnt. Don't know about the supra one, but I have take nothers apart and cleaned the contacts up with a wire brush and they've been fine when reassembled.

This would give a single and fairly posutive sounding 'CLICK' if it is the problem.

When the battery is failing, the solenoid usually fails to stay energised and you get a weaker sounding series of clicks until the battery goes way down hill to just a single click.

mines playing up too. when running its ok. just when left a few days without starting or going anywhere i get a dead battery. get the fast clicking. its a new battery so should be ok.

just bought one of them battery jump starters. i was thinking if it might be alternator not holding charge or a duff battery. got my restrictor ring took out of exhaust and guy put multimeter across battery and it was charging up13.8 to 13.9 volts on tick over.

is the starter motor hard to take off and clean. did it on my astra and was an easy bolt on job. stripped it down to have a look and not much to it. ended up buying a new one for 20 quid.

its the most trouble i have had on supra is batterys

Mine's been doing this for months. I have two months of perfect starting, then a few weeks of problems, then it goes back to being fine again. I just keep turning the key back one click and then back to start again repeately. Sometimes on the second turn it starts, sometimes it's the fifteenth.

The fix involves me actually doing some work on my car... so I just put up with it :)