The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sky insurance question

Supra ST Myster

yes, this is the way it works with most insurance companies when paying in installments. Until the final installment is paid, we are unable to offer the full certificate, this is standard industry practice.

Hope that helps

Ollie

So if this is the case why did I recieve my certificate of insurance from Sky and I paid in installments. Is it that you get the money from a loan company? so effectively I have paid in full.

I work for a major UK insurance company (NOT a broker) and we send out certificates straight away on policies being paid by instalments.

I've never known anything else. I'll check with my CII books or check with the FSA and see what they say.

I don't see a problem with sending out an annual certificate straight away as if someone fails to pay, their insurance can be cancelled and they then have a duty in law to return the certificate. This would also appear on the MID. (Motor Insurers Database)

You should be insured as you've paid your money. I got a producer and because I didn't have a valid insurance document, it went down as a failure to produce and (13 months later) I'm dragged into court and done for driving without insurance and the speeding offence I'd got the producer for in the first place. And I still didn't have any proof I was insured so I've now got to file an appeal with the Crown Courts to get the offence revoked.

And now I'm getting nasty letters from Sky threatening to cancel my insurance unless I send a copy of my license with the offences on. Grrr.

i would like to know what sky have to say about this mater has it been resolved what was or is the out come??????

Hmmm, Just tried these guys for a quote on a Subaru Impreza WRX (2L Turbo) Took me a week to get a price out of em and when they finally managed to come up with a quote it was over TWICE what anyone else wanted for it. From the sounds of the above, I'm glad I didn't get a better quote out of them, really not up for dealing with a crap company.

Yeah, I noticed my post was conveniently ignored...

I'm still in the process of filing an appeal. I have had no comment from Sky since the letter threatening to cancel my policy, although I'm expecting another one of those soon, TBH.

I spoke to Mary after I got the last letter and all she did was moan at me for not returning proof of alarm fitment on time (the appointment was cancelled due to bad weather, then the unit was faulty and I had to wait for a new one to be fitted and I received a policy cancelation warning then, too) and various other things.

I made the mistake of asking for a modification form so I had one ready for when the car was finished last year and despite telling them it wouldn't actually be going into the body shop for 3 or 4 months, they rang me every month wanting to know when it would be sent to them & refusing to send me my documents until they had received it. If they'd have told me when I requested the form that it would stop them from sending my documetns, I wouldn't have bothered and only asked for it once the car was finished. So much for me trying to be prepared and have everything ready it's caused nothing but grief.

I've only ever paid monthly with insurance companies so that assumption that 'all insurance companies work that way' is a bit of a puzzle!

I'm somewhat concerned now! :(

Linda

Please dont be concerned :Pling:

Let me clarify a little further:

When paying for your insurance monthly by direct debit your full certificate is usually issued straight away, or at least within the first couple of months.

When paying for your insurance in installments a cover note is issued.

My apologies for not making this clear in my previous post

They are the main reason I'm currently banned & sporting an IN10 conviction cos they were too lazy in sending out my documents. I think I only had 2, 1 month covernotes for the entire of last year and never got my full documents at all. They are bloody useless at getting stuff posted to you.

My apologies for not responding to your earlier post. This is a rather bizarre situation which and without your details is difficult to comment on. Please could you send me your details (I'm also sending you a PM) and I'll take a look at this. Alternatively please phone Scott Wilson our Office Manager and he'll be pleased to look into this further for you. The one thing I am struggling with is that it is easy and standard procedure for us to offer a copy of any documentation so I am not sure what has happended there. Please include any relavent details / queries in your PM or telephone call.

Thanks

Ollie Frost

Sky Insurance

yes, as i said i would go with sky but the the follow up of paper work is crazy. sign this declare that, why when all the details (like other companies) is firstly taken via email then more over the phone do i now have to work through half a tree to confirm what has already been done twice ? i feel a lack of trust some where (is it a broker / ins company problem):Pling:

My reply (seny by PM) posted here for reference:

I renewed my policy last year (around April, I think) paying in full straight away but never received my documents.

As said in the thread, there was a delay in getting the alarm fitted due to bad weather/faulty components, but the details were sent as soon as possible.

I cant remember when it was, but I rang to chase up the lack of documentation and while I was on the phone, I stated that my car would be going in for a respray and additional parts fitted sometime in the future and requested a modification form so I could fill it in and return it when the car was actually finished. I was never informed that this would stop my documents from being issued until I phoned some time later to chase up the still missing documents. I was then pestered by phone and mail at least once a month with more threats of cancelling my policy, until the bloody modifications form was returned. Your staff seemed to be completely incapable of understanding a) the car wasn't in the bodyshop yet or b) the bodyshop were busy and taking forever to finish the job.

In June 2006 I then got pulled on the motorway and given a producer. I took my documents in only to find that the covernote I'd been issued had run out and the WPC on the desk just told me that it would be put down as a failure to produce and passed to the officer who'd issued the producer. That was that, so I didn't see any point in ringing you up, what could you have done?

The car went into the bodyshop in November and was finished in Feb/March at which point the tax had run out. I went to the post office with documents only to find that the covernote had run out I think 2 or 3 months earlier, and nothing else had been issued, so I had to wait to tax the car. I threw the useless covernote away in frustration.

Skip to August this year and I received an arrest warrent through the post which turned out to be for the above offence (the court summons having gotten lost in the post somewhere) and I had to go to court in 4 days time. So once again, I collected all the documents I had, realising that I still didn't have any insurance documents for last year having thrown the last covernote away.

Rang your office to be told that they couldn't issue a copy of last years insurance and would have to speak to another company and ring me back. I was then informed that the only person who could do this was away for 2 days, but they'd try and get it posted to me before the court date. Nothing came (until about 5 days after I'd been to court) so I got prosecuted for driving without insurance, fined £500 and also prosecuted for the original speeding offence and fined a further £295 and banned for 35 days.

I am now trying to find a solicitor to lodge an appeal with the Crown Court to get the IN10 conviction removed, but in the mean time I am receiving letters threatening to cancel my policy unless I send a copy of my license with the new endorsements shown.

My license has been returned, but the DVLA have only updated my address, not added the endorsements and I don't see the point of returning it until the IN10 is revoked.

On the whole, I consider this to be your fault for shoddy communication and as far as I am concerned do NOT have an IN10 on my license and do not take kindly to your constant threats to cancel my policy.

Yeah, Scott has apologised for the mess and basically said that once something is on the computer, i.e. mods form sent out, then everything happens automatically. It just would have been nice if I'd have been informed of this on my first request for the damn thing.

Just waiting to sort out the court thing now.