The mkiv Supra Owners Club

IP CCTV for home

mawby

With the arrival of a second Supra soon, I've been thinking of installing some CCTV to monitor my drive (It would also allow me to keep an eye of my neighbour)

Has anyone installed IP CCTV at home or has anyone got any recommendations on what to get? Ideally I'd like wireless so it can just connect to me wireless router, but I don't want to be spending a fortune. Some also have built in web servers which sounds like a good idea as I should then be able to stream the data to a server over the internet?

Any advice recommend.

Guest spider

One of the most important tools in home/estate security is having a good amount of ambient light. Especialy at night.People up to no good hate ambient light, this includes motion detector lights as well as a continued source of light.

Then fit cameras as an edition to the light. Might seem common sense now i have mentioned it but its amazing the amount of people who put up cameras even infer-red systems, with out sufficient light sources. Just so they can play re-runs of some one stealing there cars from there homes.

One of the most important tools in home/estate security is having a good amount of ambient light. Especialy at night.People up to no good hate ambient light, this includes motion detector lights as well as a continued source of light.

Then fit cameras as an edition to the light. Might seem common sense now i have mentioned it but its amazing the amount of people who put up cameras even infer-red systems, with out sufficient light sources. Just so they can play re-runs of some one stealing there cars from there homes.

Damn - I was planning to er..... "buy" a nice ferrari I'd seen recently this weekend...... but it seems I might not be now....... ;)

Guest spider
Damn - I was planning to er..... "buy" a nice ferrari I'd seen recently this weekend...... but it seems I might not be now....... ;)
Dont bother dude, Supras keep bothering you when ya do;)

it was a thread started by Soop Dogg. He has a fairly nice setup which downloads to the internet as it runs. He posted up some footage from it, and it wasnt too expensive either.

Search for threads started by him and you should track it down, or PM him direct for more info.

JB

Mawby,

This is a system ive looked at recently which has the ability to link to PC -:

Data Sheet

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/ESP/DigiView_4_Data_Sheet.pdf

Manual

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/ESP/DIGIVIEW_4_manual.pdf

Elite Security Products

http://www.espuk.com/intro_witness.htm

IP based CCTV

There CCTV / PC Interface Module http://www.espuk.com/intro_ezudvr.htm may be more what your looking for as you can create an IP based CCTV using standard CCTV cameras. Using a PC you can create a stand alone viewing and recording system without the need for additional monitors or recorders. Once created the system can then be accessed via a standard local area network or remotely viewed from across the globe via the internet.

Regards

ChrisR

At work we have been using "Slingbox" for our video over ip connections. We have been feeding them with AV from our tv distribution systems and then I can look at remote locations from anywhere I have a decent connection. Although we use them for TV applications there is no reason you couldn't feed a camera input straight in instead, they accept composite video. They are reliable and easy to set up and most importantly cheap. The only down side is that you have to buy them from PC world:blink:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/157886/?camp_id=ppc_google_slingbox_product

http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php

IP cameras are the expensive bit. (About £165 for one that you can tilt and pan remotely with)

I have the Motorola Homesight setup which I can monitor AND CONTROL/ADJUST from another computer, like I did in the States when on holiday. It stores video remotely, so even if someone breaks in and steals the PC, I still have the video. It also emails me and has the facility to text me on any event I define. (e.g. I can just have it record & email/save video from some cameras, but if I have one that should NEVER activate unless somethings wrong - like inside my garage or in the lounge etc. then I can have only activations on that camera result in the system sending me a text)

My system doesn't use IP cameras, but the new one does. (The XG1000 standalone gateway) Details HERE

PM me if you want any more info.

Here's the two videos that I posted before.

The first one was a movement activation, the second was taken when I requested the system record a 10 second clip remotely. Notice they both also have sound. This particular camera also has night vision. I have another camera elsewhere that has a halogen light next to it and they both come on together. (The neighbours might get annoyed if I had a halogen light at the front of the house so it's nice that they do the night vision cameras)

Cheers for the info. I don't think I need remote recording tbh, so the idea of paying a fee for it would put me off that one. The Motorola seems alright but that needs a PC to do the recording which again I'm not too keen on as I don't really want to leave my PC running 24/7. The other problem might be the range, I would have one car parked behind the other which I think will require two cameras as one wont get both in the frame, and one certainly wont trigger the motion detector if something happened around the far car.

So my ideal system would have a couple of cameras (or one that can view/trigger over about 10m), handle it's own recording but (and this is just a nice to have) could connect to my wireless router so I could remotely view what was going on but without paying a monthly subscription.

And if I could get it for £50 then even better! :)