The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible problems?

scooby_doo_do

What possible problems would arrise from a car that's been sitting for a year in a garage after being fully serviced?

Car's a TVR cerbera, 15k on the clock. - Waiting for everyone to tell me it'll break down. lol. My freinds thinking of buying it tonight and driving it 200 miles home - it's only done 5 miles since it's last MOT.

I'm just a little concerned that the drive may be a little long for something that's sat in a garage that long.

It should be OK with an oil change and fresh fuel.

Check the tyres - were the wheels off the ground or will the tyres have been flat spotted?

But then again it is a TVR...

;)

lol, i imagine it should be ok with the new oil and fuel. But they are not the most reliable cars at the best of times so i hear.

yeah, he's got AA. Car's been on its tyres.. It litterly was parked up and not used for a year. Although it does start and nothing seems to be seized (Handbrake, brakes, clutch)

If you see a blazing tvr on the hard shoulder of the m6/m1/m25 be sure to help..as i'll be stuck in the passenger seat!

Perished oil seals, seized/binding brake calipers, gummed up injectors, possible tyre problems.

I'd want to drive it on a 20 mile loop and then give it all a good look over first (check out how warm those discs are too!) before setting off on the 200 mile journey.

good advise, deffinatley have a 'trial run' and check for leaks heat etc

well, we picked it up. It's been in a barn for 7 years,but is absoloutly mint. he has all the history on it.

Current Mileage is 15,023,

Serviced:

24.2.97 - 08

14.11.97 - 5267

24.9.98 - 10075

13.7.00 - 13170

17.8.01 - 14597

14.8.03 - 14782

1.8.06 - 15015

We first drove to the petrol station and noticed that there was evidence of smoke coming from the surround of the gear lever (Not a lot, just whiffs) - we got a little panicy, but after a few seconds it vanished. When we looked at the service history we found it had all the tappetsdone and the car was waxoiled. We kind of guessed that the smoke was from this or that the fact it had been standing.

Anyhow we continued and everything was fine.

The car seems slugish up to about 3.5k then all hell lets loose. Driver seemed very happy :-)