The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Airport Check-in times (Liverpool)

carl0s

Amanda's in a mood because she thinks I'm being awkward by disagreeing with her OTT times.

We have a flight from Liverpool Airport (Ryanair) at 6am. We're parking the car at the Marriot and using their shuttle service (minibus) to get to the airport about 7 minutes away. It'll take us 25 minutes (good) to 35 minutes (bad) to get to the Marriot.

I think she's suggesting leaving the house at 2am :eek:

She says we have to get there two hours before. This is the arguing point.

The Ryanair Travel Itinerary says :

ALL airport check-in desks open 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time and close strictly 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time.

So, to me that is saying that 2hrs is the earliest that you can check-in, up to the latest of 40minutes before (5:20am).

So I reckon she's wrong and I'm right, but everybody is agreeing with her "You gotta get there two hours before" (they all say).

WTF am I missing? :)

Not that I'm really bothered, but I just don't do this stressing out stuff and think we've got plenty of time..

I've traveled abroad about once every 3 weeks for the last 6 years so have check in times down to a fine art :D

It does depends on the airport, the time/date you're flying, whether you have baggage check-in and whether you're travelling outside the UK. I've not been to Liverpool aiport, but the worse (probably in Europe) is Heathrow and even then I only allow 1 hour max with baggage.

Personally, I'dd allow a little extra as you're getting a very early flight and check in is usually busy then. Give it an hour 20 mins and it'll be more than enough (and keep the gf happy!).

I once checked in 2 minutes before the flight (though that was a tiny one that had one plane and two flights a day...)

The biggest problem for me is always getting to the airport (traffic, public transport failures, security alerts, etc)

I've traveled abroad about once every 3 weeks for the last 6 years so have check in times down to a fine art :D

It does depends on the airport, the time/date you're flying, whether you have baggage check-in and whether you're travelling outside the UK. I've not been to Liverpool aiport, but the worse (probably in Europe) is Heathrow and even then I only allow 1 hour max with baggage.

Personally, I'dd allow a little extra as you're getting a very early flight and check in is usually busy then. Give it an hour 20 mins and it'll be more than enough (and keep the gf happy!).

I once checked in 2 minutes before the flight (though that was a tiny one that had one plane and two flights a day...)

The biggest problem for me is always getting to the airport (traffic, public transport failures, security alerts, etc)

I actually had that sort of time in mind myself. I was hoping to get there for about 4:45, but she's having none of it :shrug:

2hrs it is, and I bet it'll be 2hrs 20 as well.

She sets the alarm clock too early every night, and hits the fucking snooze button for 15-20 minutes every morning. arrrgh :D

Are you one of those people you see on that Airline program shouting and complaining because they got held up in traffic and got there 2 minutes after check-in closes? Get there the 2 hours before, you never know what hold ups you might have when you get there.

edit: I'd set off at 3am, if it's going to take you ~45 min to get there.

We got there 2hrs and 2mins before and to be honest there was very little waiting around. We had time for some sausage, eggs & beans on toast, plane left early and arrived in Granada 25 minutes early ;)

I'll stick with 2hrs in future, but I'm still saying you don't have to get there two hours earlier. I suppose the fact that there was five of us kind of means it's better to be early, but if like Homer it was just me, I'd time it a little closer.

Thanks for your answers anyway guys.

Weather here is lovely BTW :D

We got there 2hrs and 2mins before and to be honest there was very little waiting around. We had time for some sausage, eggs & beans on toast, plane left early and arrived in Granada 25 minutes early ;)

I'll stick with 2hrs in future, but I'm still saying you don't have to get there two hours earlier. I suppose the fact that there was five of us kind of means it's better to be early, but if like Homer it was just me, I'd time it a little closer.

Thanks for your answers anyway guys.

Weather here is lovely BTW :D

So, she kind of won then? :D

So, she kind of won then? :D

Yeah ;) :D

So we're up at the very top of a mountain, and if I go to the front of the house, I'm getting a 3.6mbps HSDPA connection through Vodafone. How cool is that! He pays 39euro/month for unlimited usage, and that includes a mobile phone as well.