The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone know how to remove\grind a tree stump ?!?

Muffleman

I need to take down an Ash tree at the bottom of my garden this weekend. The diameter near the stump is probably 8 inches or so ?

Have a chainsaw :eyebrows: so can bring the tree down easy enough, and I have an open fire so I'll cut the tree into logs and leave to season. But need to remove the stump really.

Anyone done this ?

Did 4 trees in my garden few weeks back, same method as Jamie and Paul, Dig a trench around the stump, chop/cut all roots around stump, then use a ratchet strap or pulley system to pull the stump out. Or as I found out use a transit van to pull it out. Good trick is to leave 5 foot + of truck on the stump, attach the ratchet rope/chain high as you can go, gives more leverage ;)

i dare you to put rope on tow hook back supra and tie it on tree then drive off...that might do it{NOT}LOL i hope this helps..

Ha. I pulled an 8ft concrete gate post out using exactly that method with my mk iii. Took 4 people to lift it into the back of a van later.

Brother is a tree surgeon and I work with him, or did for a couple of years.

8 inches is fairly small mate but if needed hire a stump grinder for the day if you're doing a few (costs circa £70) and it will be MUCH easier than the above improvised methods. Plus, you won't look a plank as you may of done when your rear bumper gets ripped off!

Red diesel and a box of matches can also be used to hollow out the stump. After about a week you'll find the roots will lose their strength and you can pull the section out.

Greg

You shouldn't chain saw the roots out as you'll blunt the saw almost immediately. We just cut ours down as low as we could below ground level, drilled big holes in the stump and used some root killing stuff - poured it down the holes and then levelled the ground above it. But we were putting decking over it anyway so it didn't matter so much. That was an Oak tree.

You shouldn't chain saw the roots out as you'll blunt the saw almost immediately.

With me being the spiritual father of this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35035, I see why you said that :D

But it's okay, I plan to do as mentioned already, leave a few feet of the tree to put a strap round and then pull it. I will dig around it first too.