The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated Anti Roll Bars

dandan

Not only have I found Whiteline ARB's take a set, I have even found their road springs sag, which takes some doing unless they make them out of old bedsteads. I'd be tempted to go for TRD if they have the sort of rates available (and cite them) that you are wanting. Bars can be custom made, but in small batches come pretty expensive.

TRD's are about a 27% stiffness increase.

TITANS

Front Sway Bar (2 way adjustable)

Light Setting 8% stiffer then TRD 498.9 lbs/in

Heavy Setting 27% stiffer than TRD 584 lbs/in

Rear Sway Bar (3 way adjustable)

Light 18% softer then TRD 367 lbs/in

Medium 6% Stiffer than TRD 458 lbs/in

Heavy 35% Stiffer than TRD 588 lbs/in

I'd personally go for the TRD's as they are cheaper and in many ways a more known quantity, ie TRD arn't a fly by night operation.

Having said that I think Terry is running some Titan ARB's though so he's prolly a good one to ask about them.

That all sounds a bit discouraging Chris, I think there's a few members on her with Whiteline suspension kit on their car! I must admit I was not considering the WHiteline stuff myself, more leaning to the TRD's if anything.

Thanks Alex, I know that Titans are on a backorder at MVP (4 weeks approx) whereas TRD's are in stock and significantly cheaper.

Chris what is your opinion on uprated antiroll bars for a road based mkiv which will see an odd track day on occasion. ie This is a road car, definitely not a track car where road manners come second place. :)

I'm thinking of going for the HKS coilovers I mentioned to you and at the moment just considering whether ARB's are worth the investment. As Alex said the TRD's are supposed to be 27% stiffer than stock and would cost me around £250-270 for the pair.

Front stiffness: Stock 364lbs/in TRD 462lbs/in

Rear Stiffness: Stock 340lbs/in TRD 432lbs/in

What do you think?

An uprated ARB will make single wheel bumps be felt as if the spring on that corner were uprated by the same pounds inch as the ARB isw uprated from stock. A single full width rippple (say a sleeping policeman to consider worst case scenario) would feel just the same whatever thickness ARB was fitted, if driven straight over at 90 degrees. Only single wheel lumps and bumps are felt as harsher due to an uprated ARB. The TRD ones are relatively mildly uprated. Bear in mind a damper is atuned to a road spring, the heavier an ARB you run the more compromised the dampers action. Some suspension engineers dilslike ARBs as they turn independent suspension into a something resembling a live axle if the ARB is very stiff, versus the weight of the car. Ride quality does, for sure, deteriorate the heavier an ARB becomes. I would say the TRD ones shouldn't be too bad though, generally speaking. If road usage is paramount i would suggest my own suspension kit. Several people on here have it and most have extolled its virtues. For serious track usage you need something VERY different to stock and a weld in roll cage to add some torsional stiffness to the bodyshell, which is the limiting factor when you start talking race type spring and ARB stiffnesses.

Guest Terry S

Hate disagreeing with CW but my whiteline bars were fab. I have a set of titan bars and they are great. I think the whitelines were an excellent VFM mod on the purple car. CJ now has them too, as does Getaway driver, both are over the moon with them. The downside of the whiteline is they are a solid bar, so very heavy. The Titan ones I have are Chromoly, so no heavier than stock. They are available from MVP.

HTH