The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Car.....

Kopite

After I sell the supra, I'm looking at replacing it. I've lost interest in the whole modifying scene (bar possibly wheels) so all marques are a possibility. Looking at spending a MAX of £14k on a car, no older than a 97/98. I'm 25 and fully employed so insurance isn't too much of a hassle depending on what's suggested. NOT after an Evo/Impreza/GTR. Whatever I chose will be my main driver

I really like this Cerbera I've seen, bloke wants £12k for it which is fine. I know they're not the most reliable depending on whether you get a Friday afternoon job etc. The one I've seen has had the major service items done i.e. starter, clutch etc. Still not sure though. Main reason I like the Cerbera is the interior, I do a fair amount of driving and it's a lovely place to be. Also like the looks and the noise from that V8 (if it's working). Speed isn't that important as you'll see in the below options.

Other options I was looking at were a MKIV Golf R32, Audi S3, possibly a Civic Type R. 350Z is nice too, not impressed with the performance at all though and there's no real boot in it. Also considering a S2000.

I'm putting the above options in a poll, feel free to suggest any others though.

Obviously I know that all the above will be a fair bit slower than a single turbo Supra, but I'm not bothered by that anymore

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, tough one.

Golf - too "ordinary" - the R32 doesn't really stand out anymore - unless you know enough about cars to notice them.

Personally, I always think Audi have a touch of "class" that a lot of other marques don't have - Civic's, for example, are just driven by tw*ts - at least down my way.

5 bland yet capable cars you see almost every day and one "exotic" that you only see on sunny weekends... I picked the TVR from your list but if you want something slightly more reliable how about the Tuscan? I keep seeing them pop up for sale under the £14k mark, not many but it does happen.

My sister in laws hubby has a Cerb 4.5 on a P plate.

It's a great car, but he has had to do things to it to keep it on the road. The engine has been fine, but it's been things like the aircon and suspension and chassis bits that have been problematic and as there is no dealer network there are few places that supply spares. If you're prepared to get your hands dirty once in a while then go for it, although personally I find the driving position a bit awkward, very cramped, but then you're not as broad in the beam as me Ro. :D

So if you can live with the ideosyncracies that go hand in hand with TVR ownership, then that would be my choice. If you want everyday reliability then choose something else.

my mates have S2000 cars ,nice but noisey when the v tec kicks in.one did put an induction kit on it so it did sound loud.they are snug inside,but go well .The hard top costs an arm and a leg to buy if its not already with the car.one mate had to have the callipers reconditioned because they seized.They both had problems with water getting

in.one mate has just bought another car 07 plate s2000 he just sold the other, so they

must be ok.

5 bland yet capable cars you see almost every day and one "exotic" that you only see on sunny weekends... I picked the TVR from your list but if you want something slightly more reliable how about the Tuscan? I keep seeing them pop up for sale under the £14k mark, not many but it does happen.

Bland I know but I'm after something that will just fit in more places rather than a noisy fast supra. Tuscan's are nice, heard horror stories about the engines though :(

Bland I know but I'm after something that will just fit in more places rather than a noisy fast supra. Tuscan's are nice, heard horror stories about the engines though :(

I feel your pain, I too would like something fun and understated that can be parked without attracting unwanted attention from fans and criminals. I'd need the Supra as well though for those crazy moments.

I was under the impression that the Tuscan was one of the rare TVRs that had a decent reliability record but I haven't read up on them that much, I can't get over my desires for the 4.5 Cerb and I can't afford a Sagaris.

Supercharged one would be a bit pricier but also the thing that puts me off the 350Z is the modding options available, Michel Lane drove a supercharged 350Z and wasn't impressed at all

You might have a different opinion to Michel.

Another option would be an..................E46 M3.;)

When my brother was deciding between a Cerbera and a Corvette this bloke who had owned both hit the nail on the head.

I had the Cerb for 1 year, i've now had the Vette for over 2.

Main reasons I've kept it longer: I can go away to work all week, come back and it fires up and drives fine. In traffic jams in Summer I don't sit there panicking about the car overheating. I don't have to get somebody to tape me drivers door shut with me in the car so I can drive it to the dealer after the latch fell off. My Cerb was a good one but I never trusted it. My Vette is I think an average one and it's never let me down.

Have got a mate with an S2000 as a daily driver. have had a go because i always wanted one, and i was disapointed. it felt nice but just didnt do it compared to the supe.

also driven the type R, and thats a let down for what it should be. also the 350z was a let down, lol (the supercharger version would be good though)

R32 for me if its going be a daily driver, with the audi a close 2nd :D

After I sell the supra, I'm looking at replacing it. I've lost interest in the whole modifying scene (bar possibly wheels) so all marques are a possibility. Looking at spending a MAX of £14k on a car, no older than a 97/98. I'm 25 and fully employed so insurance isn't too much of a hassle depending on what's suggested. NOT after an Evo/Impreza/GTR. Whatever I chose will be my main driver

I really like this Cerbera I've seen, bloke wants £12k for it which is fine. I know they're not the most reliable depending on whether you get a Friday afternoon job etc. The one I've seen has had the major service items done i.e. starter, clutch etc. Still not sure though. Main reason I like the Cerbera is the interior, I do a fair amount of driving and it's a lovely place to be. Also like the looks and the noise from that V8 (if it's working). Speed isn't that important as you'll see in the below options.

Other options I was looking at were a MKIV Golf R32, Audi S3, possibly a Civic Type R. 350Z is nice too, not impressed with the performance at all though and there's no real boot in it. Also considering a S2000.

I'm putting the above options in a poll, feel free to suggest any others though.

Obviously I know that all the above will be a fair bit slower than a single turbo Supra, but I'm not bothered by that anymore

Supercharged one would be a bit pricier but also the thing that puts me off the 350Z is the modding options available, Michel Lane drove a supercharged 350Z and wasn't impressed at all

Is that a lack of modding options, I was always under the impression that there wasn't an abundance of modding options for the 350Z. In which case it meets your original requirements. however your second comment makes me think you haven't convinced yourself. :search:

Mike