The mkiv Supra Owners Club

chess question

Lewis

I love a good game of chess and I play it a lot on vista... I get confused with it though....

As you can see, I am white and I have placed the black king in a mate position but the text in the popup says :

"This game has been counted as a draw in the statistics. If you return to the game the draw will not be counted again".

I get a little pissy at this as I view the position of my pieces to constitute checkmate but the computer see's it as a draw.

Although I play it a lot I don't know the ins and outs of the rules...can anyone tell me why this would be counted as a draw?

ta

There was a time when if the king couldnt move as any move would place it in to check and there were no other pieces to move it was considered stale mate and a draw. I think now it is considered a win but alot of games still treat it as a draw.

I see, it makes sense now. I viewed it as the king being unable to take the castle as it would be placing itself in check (therefore an illegal move)....wheras the game seems to ignore that fact and say that IF i could take the castle it would be a stalemate.

Bolloxks if you ask me :D

it is not a draw or a stale mate as the computer(black) still has a pawn that can move and so doesnt need to move the king.

its not over untill a win is declared or there are no moves left on any team

I would say its because his king can take your castle, making the end result a stalemate, or draw.

the king cant take the castle as it would be in check.

Neil is correct though. The king is unable to move but not currently in check. I should have moved to check the king whilst leaving it with no further moves to make... I'm going to check the image again, if the pawn can move then I am totally confused!!

EDIT - the pawn can't move mate, it needs to travel south (and is therefore blocked by the king).

Due to the fact that the king is not in a check position, This game is a draw as the pawn can not move, the only places the king can move is into a check position, therefore it is a draw as the computer can not move any pieces...

Hope this helps...