The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am i doing any damage ?

wile e coyote

Maybe not blown it up YET, however there have been people who have had issues with MAF equipped cars (UK's and VVTi's), who have had hassles with atmospheric BOV's.

Is just one example.. I personally have experienced this on my VVTi as well.

Please note the comment regarding detonation......

I`m experience the same after I fitted a Tial BOV on my 98vvti TT... not very often but sometimes I get a some unburnt fuel in the exhaust... a couple a times a month maybe...

but how is this affected if you run bpu and 1,2 bar boost? regarding the fuel mixture that you might have problems with on J-spec supas? I`m no expert but hopefully somebody knows?:search:

I`m experience the same after I fitted a Tial BOV on my 98vvti TT... not very often but sometimes I get a some unburnt fuel in the exhaust... a couple a times a month maybe...

but how is this affected if you run bpu and 1,2 bar boost? regarding the fuel mixture that you might have problems with on J-spec supas? I`m no expert but hopefully somebody knows?:search:

The VVTi Supra uses a MAF (Mas Air Flow) Sensor, this is mounted in the intake and measures the amount of air going into the engine. This measurement is sent to the ECU which adjusts the fueling accordingly.

The problem with a vent to atmosphere BOV on a car with a MAF sensor, is that it releases this measured air from the system, which causes the engine to run rich.

It is an HKS USA product only, that is not available here, so no experience of them.

Cool, thanks Nic

Hope no offence was caused earlier by saying I was going to Envy, but I thought you'd have mentioned the recirc kits if you knew about them..

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update! Refitting the original Toyota BOV in mine has worked a treat. Feels like a new car again :) The power is far more stable, no dips and surges etc, just smooth power delivery all the way! Anyone with a VVTI might wanna rethink the vent to air BOV's.

Cheers

Mark