The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am i doing any damage ?

wile e coyote

Ok fitted a new HKS BOV to my car (VVTI ) gone atmospheric.

Now car seems to drive ok with ocasional pop from exhaust when lifting off.Was told may have running problems due to it being a VVTI and going atmospheric.Am i damaging the engine and should i put it back to blowing back into induction? Dose this make any sense ?

So am i loosing power and doing damage ?

Yes, you will probably be loosing power, since the engine will be running rich (how rich, I don't know), if it is running FAR too rich, you would end up washing the bores and polluting the oil....however as to how rich you would run, I don't know...

Did you want the whooshing sound that bad? as you can by a kit that makes the sound for non turbo's:blink: reason i ask is you don't gain anything by having a BOV fitted, to my understanding.

All turbo cars SHOULD have a blow off valve to help prevent turbo stall and blown off pipes, HOWEVER on MAF based engines, it should be configured as a recirculating blow-off.

I dont think it will do that much damage tbh. The popping is basically unburnt fuel igniting on its way out of the exhaust, caused by running rich. On a bling side, if you're decatted, this unburnt fuel will often cause flames on other cars, not sure about supras though...

I dont think it will do that much damage tbh. The popping is basically unburnt fuel igniting on its way out of the exhaust, caused by running rich. On a bling side, if you're decatted, this unburnt fuel will often cause flames on other cars, not sure about supras though...

Flames at the expense of bore wash?

Well im coming from a background of turbo nissans S14s, GTRs etc. The hotwire AFMs on these cars cause overfuelling by the bucket load when you fit a vent to atmos bov.

My old S14 used to spit serious flamage due to overfuelling with a bov and did this for 30+k miles with no issues. I consider Toyota to build stronger cars/engines than nissan, so I dont see why the 2JZ-GTE would melt down when a nissan motor doesnt???

Thats cool, but lightened up often gets taken as gospel by new members.

Admittedly not such a huge issue in this case with only a BOV in discussion, but in lots of cases new members are seeing old hands say 'yeah this is fine...' to something that patently isnt fine :(

EDIT - all i was saying was..... for you to say one nissan car didnt blow up when overfuelling indicates its not going to be an issue for all other cars overfuelling, especially when Gav has already mentioned it.

To put it more simply, its like someone saying 'should i drink poison' him getting a load of NO answers, then one guy saying 'somone i know did it and it wasnt an issue (granted thats an extreme example!)

OK to put this into context, has anyone on here had a 2JZ-GTE fail due to borewash after fitting a vent to atmos BOV? Answers on a postcard please :)....

Maybe not blown it up YET, however there have been people who have had issues with MAF equipped cars (UK's and VVTi's), who have had hassles with atmospheric BOV's. Before you starting putting up comments such as 'to put it into context', I would check this first... Do you have any experience with atmospheric BOV's and MAF equipped cars?...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35947

Is just one example.. I personally have experienced this on my VVTi as well.

Cons:

If you have a UK car, an atmospheric BOV can confuse the ECU because they use a MAF airflow sensor which is ahead of the BOV. This sensor registers that a certain amount of air is flowing in, so the ECU reacts accordingly by supplying the correct amount of fuel. That air then gets vented by the BOV, so the engine runs very rich. This creates two problems – one, the car may stall if the throttle doesn’t come back on, two, if the throttle does come back on the ECU is trying to compensate for an over-richness and may lean the mix off to undesirable levels, potentially causing detonation.

The j spec cars have a manifold pressure sensor and don't suffer from this problem.

Please note the comment regarding detonation......

Again please dont bite my head off, and im no techy, but doesnt a twin piston BOV elliviate the stalling issues with MAF equipped cars???

AFAIK the HKS SSQV etc arent twin piston???

I think the twin piston just means is stronger than normal (could be talking out of my arse here though).

The fact it's still diverting air from the engine that the ECU thinks will be going in doesn't change - you'd still get the problem.

Presumably when people go single in their VVTi cars they rip out the MAF gubbins and the new ECU just uses MAP...?