The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo removal - Desperate for help!

GeordieSteve

I'm going to start removing my turbos at the weekend due to exploding turbos. Envy have given me a bloody great price on hybrids so I want to get it moving ASAP.

Can anyone give me a quick idea of how to remove the turbos. The lad I'm doing it with has rebuilt his 200sx a number of times and knows what he's doing but wants to know if there's anything he should know about before doing it. Any clues would be great!

Anyone know a rough time scale on removing and refitting the turbos?

Thanks ya'll :thumbs:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

instructions on mkiv.com

its a bastard job, technically not difficult, but some very tight spots and some tight nuts. lots of opportunity for skinned knuckles but good chance to practice swearing. 1/2 day will get em off. never put em back on so cant help there.

Watch out for exhaust downpipe studs snapping, and the turbo to manifold nuts are a bastard. WD40 them good and early. It's a nasty job, It's about an hour and a half to get to them and a couple of hours to take them off, but it depends on experience and facilities...

-Ian

if you take your time and strip all around the area and make lots of space. i have stripped all mine down to the turbos when i was polishing some pipes. pretty easy. at the back of engine had to buy some stubby spanners to get to a tight spot. are you just taking the turbo housings off to be sent away.

take your time and have fun

Originally posted by dandan

That's a lot of power from stock based turbos.

I think that was with hybrids Dan - but even so huge power (+150) over stock?? Crumbs - I would not have thought that possible

I achieved 50HP over my pre-hybrid set-up and corresponding lbs from hybrids - to about 410HP I think it was

Run here

hp & torque.jpg

I squeaked 470-490bhp out of hybrids, with a ducted FMIC, 256/264cams, 550cc injectors, walbro pump, CW decat exhaust. This was at 1.3bar boost, any more started causing appreciable power loss. EGTs were fine, hot day, sustained WOT run up through 6th, 900DegC.

A lot depends on the hybrids spec. Some more depends on the tuning/boost levels. I don't think you'll see much more out of the sequential setup than that though.

-Ian

steve my figure was 473 at hubs which thor estimated to be around 570-580 flywheel hp.but thats as far as you can go on the standard set up.

go for a small single if you want no lag,maybe a t61 something around that size,Terrys car is managing full boost by 3200 0n t61 -thats about 600 rpm before standard set up!

Originally posted by RICHIE S

steve my figure was 473 at hubs which thor estimated to be around 570-580 flywheel hp.but thats as far as you can go on the standard set up.

go for a small single if you want no lag,maybe a t61 something around that size,Terrys car is managing full boost by 3200 0n t61 -thats about 600 rpm before standard set up!

Dudes how many times do we need to go thru this , and i really dont want to upset anyone here but there is NO way in the world that a hybrid car will put out that power at the fly , i'll quote CJ as an example 450 odd on CPL and OVER 650 at Thor (which coincidentally is the rough fly figure)

terry S managed a tad over 500 on an engine dyno with JPS stage 3's and that was on race fuel etc etc , i would say Richie has 473 fly HP which is very good by any standard !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by GeordieSteve

So what would people recommend to get 600 at the fly with good pickup (not bothered about top speed). I don't want to go hybrid if I'm gonna struggle to get 600bhp

Again not being funny but do you realise how much HP 600 at the fly is ?????, people seem to be bandying these figures around as if its easy to get 6-700 hp , if your shooting for those figures then look at your trans and converter (best budget for £3K and make sure you have an LSD )

Dude:flame Dev