The mkiv Supra Owners Club

American bad debt causing world market crisis

TLicense

In the long run, if you know what you're doing, you can make this work to your advantage. Watch the markets, the banks are at the lowest price in years.. House prices.... MAY fall eventually due to people not being able to afford the remorgage after sub prime lending..... stay tuned....

The markets seem to be fluctuating quite a bit though (according to the news) as nobody has owned up and said "yes we're in the shit because we bought a load of debt that the American homeowners have defaulted on".

So you may be lucky and sell your shares when there's an upwards "blip", as opposed to the inevitable downward trend that it's going to take when people start 'fessing up.

My shares have taken a hit...some of them so much I cant take them out, so they'll have to stay and spend years recouping :(

This is good news for me. I only started investing in the stock market a couple of months ago. So I guess the few thousand in there will have dropped, but money I invest over the coming months potentially has good future growth.

I guess my company shares have gone down - but I tend to forget about them anyway.

According to my company the price on the shares are going up and up and up and up and it's a good thing...

Please, give me something to dance and go woo about, the only reason they're going up is because you're giving us more work, more SLA's to contradict the SLA's we're already working our asses off for, and not giving us anything to make us work for it? Apart from 'We've got a new boss, let's impress him' - Why the hell should we work harder to impress him if we're doing a good funking job alread and exeeding our existing SLA's and making a fat proifit (For a non-profit company) - However some of us can't afford to buy shares in the company, even at the crap 'budget' prices they 'offer' them to us... So woo... Yes I care if the company makes a profit, it means I'm still in a job, for making a song and a dance and wearing the fcuking t-shirt, kiss my feckking @ss...

According to my company the price on the shares are going up and up and up and up and it's a good thing...

Please, give me something to dance and go woo about, the only reason they're going up is because you're giving us more work, more SLA's to contradict the SLA's we're already working our asses off for, and not giving us anything to make us work for it? Apart from 'We've got a new boss, let's impress him' - Why the hell should we work harder to impress him if we're doing a good funking job alread and exeeding our existing SLA's and making a fat proifit (For a non-profit company) - However some of us can't afford to buy shares in the company, even at the crap 'budget' prices they 'offer' them to us... So woo... Yes I care if the company makes a profit, it means I'm still in a job, for making a song and a dance and wearing the fcuking t-shirt, kiss my feckking @ss...

quality :D

This could fuck us in a big way, America has been living on AAA credit for ages, with no real money of it's own, BUT it is in one of the few countries that is self sustaining, in theory they could sever ties with the rest of the world and be ok, they have plenty of natural resources so Uncle Sam doesn't have to buy energy from another country- which is our single biggest problem, we consume more than we can make & ultimately we have to pay another country for juice.

This could fuck us in a big way, America has been living on AAA credit for ages, with no real money of it's own, .

Errr... us too m8! ;)

Dont panic - shares will fall / shares will go up... it's a long term thing for the small players like us

Overall they will still rise - but you need to think long term...

Also this mini-crash will be half engineered by the markets to put some life back into it - and make money on the rebound... bet the US goes back up again!!

Errr... us too m8! ;)

Dont panic - shares will fall / shares will go up... it's a long term thing for the small players like us

Overall they will still rise - but you need to think long term...

Also this mini-crash will be half engineered by the markets to put some life back into it - and make money on the rebound... bet the US goes back up again!!

Im sure someone said that in the 1930's. You do know pension funds took a £20bn hit yesterday? That may be ok if you're 25, but if you are just coming up to 65 you may find yourself getting less than you hoped.

This mini-crashed wasn't half engineered in any way shape or form, a shitload of poorer Americans face losing their homes and their jobs. Lenders gave people with very poor credit ratings loans they couldn't hope to repay over the last few years, now the cost of borrowing has gone up, the sub-prime borrowers found themselves owing more each month than they took home, fell behind on repayments and have had their houses reposessed.

The Fed has just cut the lending rate by 1/2%.

Could be a quick fix, but how long will it last when the markets decide that the underlying problem is still there? They can't do that too many times before the dollar starts taking a hit too - then imports to the US will start going up. (Although exports out of the US could be helped by a weak dollar)

Good for us though if the dollar falls further - after the UK inflation rate dropped last week, reducing pressure for another interest rate rise here, the pound has weakened against the dollar, so this will put it back up again to over $2 in a day or two I reckon.

:)

I enjoy the terminology: sub-prime lending.

Like calling a 90-year old one step beyond a teenager.

There used to be a more accurate term in the 80s, junk bonds. They were rechristened sub-prime lol.

Debt is packaged and sold all around the world, so anyone who thinks that a default will be localised in the States (or wherever) doesn't understand how the financial markets work. If your little finger is stung the whole body suffers, and if the nervous system goes into anaphylactic shock then the whole body could die (the equivalent of a loss of confidence in currencies)

Fiat money, remember?