The mkiv Supra Owners Club

volume through a hose??

eyefi

There is going to be so many variables. Bend radii, constriction caused in a bended pipe, and amount of bends for one. To a degree surface friction of the pipe material.I suppose there must be set industry standards of what size pipe is required to flow certain amounts of fluids over a set distance and have it arrive at a set flow rate. I guess the car designer types would be able to tell you where to find these standards. If they don't show up I am guessing that its vehicular based question you have perhaps a kit car forum would be able to furnish you with some info as they will have to fashion bespoke fuel pipes from pumps and air pipes and the likes.

Originally posted by Jake

Sounds like a simple question doesn't it? I did a search on the net but there doesn't seem to be a simple answer.

thats what i thought. it doesnt have to b exact i just need a "best guess" calculation.

i'll have a play with that calculator.

cheers.

Velocity is the one thing you need to make that easy Eyefi, I guess you don't know what that is though. Let me know what you're trying to calculate and I'll do my best to help you out.

As with all engineering, there will be a number of assumptons that need to be made! :)

Originally posted by dandan

Velocity is the one thing you need to make that easy

would u know, velocity is the one thing i dont know :)

a general rule of thumb for fuel hose is:-

4-600hp -8

600hp > -10

i wanted to check this and see what sort of safety margin was in there.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Can't you ever ask a simple question! :p

hey matt i have never known anyone who does as much reasurch as eyefi.

he sure goes into detail :)

i was up at his house last week, even i learnd a bit about fuel kits.

some of them hoses sure can take some high pressure.

did you know he is writing a haynes manual for the supra, he has stripped his car down into a million bits too :thumbs:

roy castle would be proud of his DEDECATION :D

Guest Usmann A

Eyefi, I have a chart, and formula off Aerquip, Ive scanned in, do you have an email addy mate?

Its too big to upload here, its got a rough estimation, works in US gallons tho, conversion you prob know. ;)

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by eyefi

would u know, velocity is the one thing i dont know :)

a general rule of thumb for fuel hose is:-

4-600hp -8

600hp > -10

i wanted to check this and see what sort of safety margin was in there.

There is a huge safety margin here mate

IIRC from my days at college....

Ignoring losses for an uncompressible fluid travelling through a pipe, using bernou... what's his names equation....

density x flow speed x cross sectional area = work done

So, if we're talking about a solid tube that won't expand (cross section area stays the same) and say the density of the fluid stays the same, then the flow speed would be dependant on how hard you push it through the pipe. (This is ignoring losses remember - which won't be small depending on what route the fluid is taking - hence why it's difficult to pump water through a crease in your hose pipe, yet easy when it's smooth)

However this is also talking about uncompressible fluids (That practically don't exist). If you start to compress fluids then you have to take into account heat output and all-sorts. Not easy.

I think that's right anyway, it's been a while and I wasn't paying much attention at the time....