The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Switches - Info and Photos Needed

dandan

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out here....

I am after a switch that is suitable to use for my rear foglights. At the moment I have a rather nasty typical SVA type rocker switch in the row of three down by the gear lever. I have my snow and trc switch assembly and also the active spoiler off and auto switch assembly. The left switch area is where my current rocker switch for the fogs is.

What switch would normally go here on either Jap/UK/Facelift cars? Any chance of some photos?

If you have had your dash apart or looked at ANY of the switches in this area (incl. TRC, heated seats etc) could you please tell me how many pins the switches have on the back.

Any pics of front or back of ANY switches from that area are greatly appreciated. Also if you have any spare, let me know.

Cheers

Dan

Originally posted by dandan

I'm after something that looks standard. Do the heated seat switches light up? If so I could fit that pair of switches and use one for foglight, and one for something else I have in mind.

How many pins on those switches, any ideas?

Cant remember how many pins on the rear of the seat heater switches but they would be usable. They also light up when the switch is active, so you can use that as the telltail.

Not sure if there are any MOT implications from using a switch that's not labelled correctly. - I know it's not a big problem, but might be worth checking out.

Thanks Matt, in that case...

Has anyone got any heated seat switches going spare? Not sure if there's any sort of plastic mount/cradle behind the dash to support them but if there is that would be handy too. The connectors cut from the loom would make things nice and easy as well. :)

I'm in Gloucestershire Liam....

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Not sure if there are any MOT implications from using a switch that's not labelled correctly. - I know it's not a big problem, but might be worth checking out.

If that was the case, I can't see how unlabelled fog light switches get through the SVA...? (although I can see what you're saying insofar that these would actually have incorrect writing on them).

Dan, you mentioned you had two uses - if you look at the thread SupraStar linked you can see that I was pondering on using an active spoiler switch for my fog light and aerial up/down. I'm sure it must be possible to take the writing off these and they would be a perfect fit. The active spoiler switches are simple on/off doobries, so I think they would be suitable for this use, but perhaps Matt can confirm/deny...?

I'll be doing mine in the Spring as part of my TDC (Total Dash Conversion) :)

Originally posted by Aerotop Dave

Oh, in the time it took me to type that it looks like Tim might have replied with the very thing I'm talking about!

:D

The active spoiler job is not a simple switch, it's got transistors and resistors inside, and one latching switch and one momentary. Needless to say i did away with all that, and just just the momentary action for a latching relay. Also on the ariel switch thing too.

Tims answered the question on the active spoiler question, there is only one side/switch that can do what you want in that switch anyway.

The seat heater switch is just two simple on/off switches with indicator lights built in.

The rear of the dash already has the supports moulded in, so all you'd need is the switch and ideally, the plugs with a short bit or wiring.

The letters do come off... Sort of. The switch is actually white, and it's painted black with the exception of the symbol Toyota wanted on there, so if you rub the lettering off, you'll end up with a white, green illuminating blank switch.

Dave, I have no idea if switch markings would make a difference, but I though I'd just raise the question now, just in case. I can't see a problem with a blank switch, but if at the MOT station the inspector asks where the fog light switch is and you say "It's the left heated seat button", or "Slip Cont Off button", I could see that may be a cause for concern... But I'm probably wrong anyway. :innocent:

Cheers guys,

Thanks for the replies.

No worries for me with the MOT stuff, taht will not be a problem. I may try to put some sort of FOG lettering on the switch but I doubt it. I certainly won't go trying to rub the white off or it could all end up looking rather nasty.

Active spoiler switch is probably a no no as I need two simple on/off switches really...heated seats being ideal. :)

Anyone got one and some connectors?

Cheers Matt.

By the way, my dad went back to Sextons today and they're gonna fit some different speakers now (one pair front and rear) but I think they wanted to check with you which speakers to go for. I think they were looking at about £150 per pair, no doubt you'll get a phonecall tomorrow if that's alright. The other chap at your place mentioned something about a sub to fit in the Supra sub boot space to use in addition to the Alpine one, that will run off the same amp...sounds interesting. Also, I was wondering what happens to the stock tweeters, is the norm to replace them too or just disconnect and go with two way (non component) types?

Any news on the alarm at all? I know you send end of month but I'm holding out for a rogue one turning up in a Sextons somewhere!! :) :)

i got a fog switch out of a scrap honda, get down to the local scrappy theres a vast selection of switchs and its great fun you can smash things up and rag the s**t out of all those dash boards and you allways come out with a pocket full of crap that you'll never use, its great

Okay, so if the switch is white and they spray it black and mask it to get the original white showing through for the lettering you could spray the switch white again, make a template/mask and put some lettering on, then spray it black (or just try and take the original black paint off to get it back to white and you could then start again). It would have to be a good template so as not to look crappy but then again everyone will be looking at it from at least 2 feet away so it won't have to be perfect. Chuck this in with the many other dash bits I'm going to be doing and I'm not really fussed how long it's going to take or how fiddly it is.

Rightio then, a heated seat switch is what we need. Off to the parts forum we go...

Good info all :thumbs:

steady on fella, all that masking and templates will be very tricky especially the size you are on, i put my RLTC and S-AFC into a piece of C/F and all the lettering is done with Letraset, if you do a google on a stockist they have shed loads of sizes, if you mess up just start again, then when you are happy give it a coat of laquer to protect, its a piece of p**s

rltc 023.jpg

Originally posted by paul mac

steady on fella, all that masking and templates will be very tricky especially the size you are on, i put my RLTC and S-AFC into a piece of C/F and all the lettering is done with Letraset, if you do a google on a stockist they have shed loads of sizes, if you mess up just start again, then when you are happy give it a coat of laquer to protect, its a piece of p**s

I like that alot, how did you get that panel to stay where it is.

I have a large double din whole in my motor at the moment as I have no stereo and don`t intend on fitting one, how could I make a nice CF panel to house some switches and dials etc?

:thumbs:

Yo Wez

mine is fastened to the frame of the stereo, if you are not going to use the stereo you could attach to this, the C/F in the pic is attached to one of the pocket things you get from halfords when removing the double din, (hacked about a bit) the pocket screws to the frame of the stereo, if you are not using the stereo frame at all you could just stick the C/F direct to the back of the hole in the dash with silicone which could then be removed at a later date if you wished, mine is basically held together with a lot of araldite and super glue