The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming

RobSheffield

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming, a leading environmentalist has calculated.

Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes. Provided, of course, they remembered to switch off the TV rather than leaving it on standby.

The sums were done by Chris Goodall, campaigning author of How to Live a Low-Carbon Life, based on the greenhouse gases created by intensive beef production. “Driving a typical UK car for 3 miles [4.8km] adds about 0.9 kg [2lb] of CO2 to the atmosphere,” he said, a calculation based on the Government’s official fuel emission figures. “If you walked instead, it would use about 180 calories. You’d need about 100g of beef to replace those calories, resulting in 3.6kg of emissions, or four times as much as driving.

“The troubling fact is that taking a lot of exercise and then eating a bit more food is not good for the global atmosphere. Eating less and driving to save energy would be better.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2195538.ece

Has anyone wlse been a bit concerned about how the whole 'global warming' and saving the planet thing is becoming like a religion lately?

It seems we're getting hit with messages every time I switch on the TV these days.

I know global warming is happening, that's not really in dispute, but I think there's enough evidence out there that conflicts with the environmentalists arguments to at least spark off a proper debate as to what is really causing it and how much of it is really down to the human race.

I find all the politics surrounding it a bit worrying really.

cows polute more than cars, and businesses are the major contributor to carbon waste and landfill. Indivually we can all do our bit but the biggest gains will be legislation to make compaines more sociallly and environmentally friendly....

and everyone have a big mac and kill the polluting cows:d

Has anyone wlse been a bit concerned about how the whole 'global warming' and saving the planet thing is becoming like a religion lately?

It seems we're getting hit with messages every time I switch on the TV these days.

I know global warming is happening, that's not really in dispute, but I think there's enough evidence out there that conflicts with the environmentalists arguments to at least spark off a proper debate as to what is really causing it and how much of it is really down to the human race.

I find all the politics surrounding it a bit worrying really.

I totally agree with you, we are one step away from the green taxes. Just a bit more propaganda to spread through the media first before we accpet it as "the way to save our planet" ;)

With more than 96% of the greenhouse gasses in the atmoshphere being produced naturally by the planet itself, how much difference will our contribution to reducing human ouput really help? (Especially if China and India etc don't cut back their output too)

If this is all just part of the natural cycle of the planet, then are we just being misled by our politicians? Shouldn't they really be encouraging a proper debate within the scientific community rather than just accepting one side of an argument that TBH seems rather flawed?