The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is a FMIC necessary for BPU?

Conrad

Some food for thought:

The FMIC ducting (front and rear) is important to keep the ambient airflow through the core. But that is not the end of the story.

Where does this efficiently-exchanged (i.e. warmed up) air end up?;)

In the case of the SMIC it all ends up in the wheelarch.

In the case of a FMIC it all ends up in the the engine bay, the aircon condenser and the coolant rad.

An analogy could be made with a toilet facility.

A conventional unit (SMIC) would direct the outgoings away from the living quarters, into a remote sewer.

A FMIC equivalent would spread the stuff all over the place on their way out.

Size alone isn't everything.

John..

If I said to you my coolant temps were fine, my air con is lovely and cold on a hot day, my air intake temps at the plenum were lower than with the sidemount and my pressure drop from compressor outlets to plenum was no worse how would you argue against the front mount?

And I know you're going to mention engine bay heat, non airbox intakes etc but if the intercooler is dropping that charge temp to lower than the sidemount/sealed airbox combo by the time it's reached the plenum then what is the problem in your eyes?

There may be no problem at all - there may be a cooked alternator a year later, or some other heat-induced failure.

Conditions inside all bays are not the same, are they?

With a FMIC I'd be much happier if there was a well-sized bonnet vent behind the rads. It would increase the airflow through the cores and also direct a lot of the extra heat outside the bay.

Tricky to park downhill in the rain though.

Well to be fair I do have a original TRD vented and rain shielded bonnet too so maybe that's helping. :)

fyi - engine bay temp near brake servo area hasn't gone above 50*C in the last week even after stationary heatsoak and town driving.

I've never had issues with overheated alternators and didn't know anybody had on our cars - that's a new one on me...

TDR how do you manage to get such high terminals and 1/4mile times on a BPU?? are the tubbies standard?

This is similiar in performance to a 600bhp supra!!

The next best BPU times after you are around 12.88 and 113mph.

Maybe these alleged 600bhp Supra's don't have 600bhp! :eyebrows:

My tubbies are bone stock j-spec ceramics running 1.1 bar boost. The combination of decent quality other parts I have fitted (hence me mentioning the FMIC) along with a well mapped MAP2 ECU allow me to run 121mph terminals and 11 sec 1/4 miles :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Good show & Good times Brian! You realise tho - you risk the wrath of the anti NON-OEM part bringer of doom don't you ?

Thanks Clarkey. Actions speak louder than words as they say :) I've shown my hand! Not sure how hard figures can be argued with?

Cheers,

Brian.

p.s. A stock airbox IS THE ONLY WAY!!! :D