The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is a FMIC necessary for BPU?

Conrad

As title really, I'm going BPU and was wondering whether to get a FMIC. My last Supe made 390ish (give or take to trans loss) at the fly with plugs, fuel pump, BC, De cat, exhaust etc and wanted to try and better that a little.

I know every car is defferent but if I added a FMIC to that list would it help at all?

I've seen this 2 row from Japan which is really well priced at £270 delivered. Plus I love the way they look but just wondered if I would get anything more than a cosmetic gain.

Not yet Gaz mate, being lazy about getting photos off camera onto here! Will do it in a bit after my tea!

Rob, car is a 93 and got about 75k on it. No idea about condition of SMIC - whaere abouts is it? :blush:

IC on link is a Greddy one so should be half decent no?

beat me again:D

:rlol: Still aint got my turbo on either - so be prepared :p

Rob, car is a 93 and got about 75k on it. No idea about condition of SMIC - whaere abouts is it? :blush:

IC on link is a Greddy one so should be half decent no?

Greddy IC ought to be ok yes.

SMIC is on the left of the car as you look at it from the front, in the little vent. If it crumbles to the touch get a new one sorted and take care on boost.

I had a very good condition stock SMIC which I replaced with a GReddy 3-Row FMIC - made the car decidedly 'perkier' - hard to quantify but I think worth it. Perhaps a contributor to my 121MPH terminals at 1.1 bar boost on a BPU+ car :eyebrows: - who knows?

Cheers,

Brian.

I disagree lads, I noticed a fair change in mine when I slapped mine on, it stands to reason, the stock SMIC had been used to cool the heat generated from 0.8bar of boost, upping it to 1.2 created a hell of a heat increase over stock so in theory a FMIC should be more efficient if properly ducted.....I recall Clarky arguing this point with someone the other day

Wez used a SMIC on his single car but believe it or not, it probably generates less heat than a BPU/hybrid car

What about an newer SMIC - like a CW one?? is that going to be ok on bpu

Should be fine.

The main difference between a single and BPU/Hybrids is that a single setup will be running in the turbos efficiency range and not generating the same excess heat as over stressed stock/hybrid turbos.

My fully ducted front mount gave definite "seat of the pants" gains over my sidemount which was in pretty decent shape.

I have sidemount data and just need to gather the same data for the front mount and I'll know where I stand. A trip back to the RR wouldn't be a bad idea but it's not gonna happen...

A properly ducted SMIC will be better than sticking on an FMIC although it won't look as cool and you won't get nuff respeck from other Supra owners.

As far as I know there's never been any tests done to establish the efficiency of FMIC's or SMIC's. :(

Howabout it Jody et Interpro ? Help solve a mystery here. :thumbs:

This is the kind of things I'd like traders to do. Organise a test pref with a CW SMIC vrs a FMIC. Not a dyno test - as I don't think that's a worthly test. But say a heat soak test.

Blat a BPU car up and down a motorway armed with a CW SMIC. Then do the same but with a BPU car armed with a FMIC. And measure Before & After heat soak.

Both cars done on the same day, if possible same time & conditions (ie Boost)

For sure "they're different cars." - and assumations will have to be made. But this is a simple test. One thing it will prove is which IC by the end of the runs is more heatsoaked.

Howabout it Jody et Interpro ? Help solve a mystery here. :thumbs:

This is the kind of things I'd like traders to do. Organise a test pref with a CW SMIC vrs a FMIC. Not a dyno test - as I don't think that's a worthly test. But say a heat soak test.

Blat a BPU car up and down a motorway armed with a CW SMIC. Then do the same but with a BPU car armed with a FMIC. And measure Before & After heat soak.

Both cars done on the same day, if possible same time & conditions (ie Boost)

For sure "they're different cars." - and assumations will have to be made. But this is a simple test. One thing it will prove is which IC by the end of the runs is more heatsoaked.

Now thats a great idea :)

Well I've just been out and poked my SMIC - it's like a Shredded Wheat!! Crumbling to bits, so that's that. Going to order me that Greddy one straight away...

Gaz 6002 mentioned a rad cooling plate and a few other people mentioned correct ducting on the IC. Anyone know to a guide on correct ducting? or is it a case of common sense and blocking off anywhere that air can bypass the IC?

Oh and where can I get a rad cooling plate? I have an engineer mate who could make one if they're pretty simple....

Thanks for the help guys!