The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Done it again

JamieP

Jamie,

I would get the car checked over generally as even the stock diffs will take a huge amount of abuse. I think I have said before that Leon at JPS was running a stock diff up until April this year. Thats in a 9 second drag car.

I simply have never heard of diffs failing at that rate. I know you arent mechanically sensitive with the car but you arent alone in being agressive with launches and drifting and I havent heard of so many diffs failing on one car.

Just a bit of advice really, I know if I had blown 4 diffs I would want to find out why.

JB

Yea i hear what you're saying and i may have a chat with JPS to check it over but last time we replaced the complete rear subframe and prop aswell just incase something was twisted.:search:

The manual diffs last ages, its the auto diffs that dont last 2 min.

On a side note i prefer the drive with the auto diff as its closer ratio and make the car boost up even quicker, pity they dont last:(

I have the TRD 2-way in my auto and haven't yet managed to destroy it or the pinion. And I do like to give it plenty of abuse - drag burnouts, drag launches and the odd bit of sideways road action too when the opportunity presents itself :D

I'm running Silkolene BOA fluid in mine - not synthetic but decent quality mineral. This is recommended in most mech diffs but if you're running an OEM then Toyota fluid is likely best. These failures of yours sound like there's too much preload causing premature failure - needs investigating IMO as commented by JB above. Just look at the Ridox drift Supra in D1 - Orido doesn't seem to have suffered much in the way of diff failures and that's with full time drift abuse!

Cheers,

Brian.

I have the TRD 2-way in my auto and haven't yet managed to destroy it or the pinion. And I do like to give it plenty of abuse - drag burnouts, drag launches and the odd bit of sideways road action too when the opportunity presents itself :D

I'm running Silkolene BOA fluid in mine - not synthetic but decent quality mineral. This is recommended in most mech diffs but if you're running an OEM then Toyota fluid is likely best. These failures of yours sound like there's too much preload causing premature failure - needs investigating IMO as commented by JB above. Just look at the Ridox drift Supra in D1 - Orido doesn't seem to have suffered much in the way of diff failures and that's with full time drift abuse!

Cheers,

Brian.

That man has a point. Diffs really should not fail at this rate despite some serious provocation.

Yea i hear what you're saying and i may have a chat with JPS to check it over but last time we replaced the complete rear subframe and prop aswell just incase something was twisted.:search:

The manual diffs last ages, its the auto diffs that dont last 2 min.

On a side note i prefer the drive with the auto diff as its closer ratio and make the car boost up even quicker, pity they dont last:(

Leon at JPS does know his diffs quite well so is certainly a good starting point and he's always happy to chat. Just be careful he doesnt chat too much as you can lose hours in his place.

JB

Is it not worth taking one apart and getting something machined up to suit, or even easier having a look what is available stateside for the big torque engines and seeing if any of those might fit up? May mean custom driveshafts and prop, but it would be cheaper in the long run than constantly replacing diffs.

You bought a trailor then

No thats Geof, guy i use for moving the car about.

Just got her home, had a great tear up with an RS6 on the way back, he was no match for the supe but well up for it, it must have been tunned because he deffinatly had no 155mph limit on it:eyebrows:

No thats Geof, guy i use for moving the car about.

Just got her home, had a great tear up with an RS6 on the way back, he was no match for the supe but well up for it, it must have been tunned because he deffinatly had no 155mph limit on it:eyebrows:

That would of been nice to see on video.. Great kill Jamie... TBH im getting bored with racing most exotics.. as i can beat them all.....