The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone watching F1 Qualifying?

Pixelfill

I think McLaren are being punished for not doing anything about the incident themselves TBH.

If Ron had had the balls to say that what Alonso did was wrong and punish the guy then the FIA may not have made the no team points judgement.

Maybe next time Alonso will think twice about impeding another driver.

And next time Ron will think twice about trying to pacify the little Spanish tw@.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok here we go....

Ron Dennis says the team instructed Alonso to hold position to get track position and hamilton caused it.

FIA request radio transmissions.

They then punish Mclaren, so whats the betting the radio transmission had 'Alonso go, leave the box' and not 'hold ...hold...hold...go'

Oh, did he? Try to cover it up so he could keep both drivers in the front row? If that's the case then that makes sense of the constructor points penalty. Even so, it's pretty harsh!

How can the FIA take constructors points away, thats bollocks:(
Easy.

The minute Ron tried smoothing over the incident, McLaren became as guilty as Alonso.

The attitude of the team at the end of qualification was considered prejudicial to the interests of competition and motor racing

hmm....its a Mclaren issue....why does the FIA need to get involved anyway; they didnt hurt any other car now did they? what rule did Alonso actually break, even Damon Hill said that it was unsporting but he didn't break ANY rule.....so whats the issue?

Not quite true.

I re-watched the ITV coverage and what Damon actually said was that he wasn't sure if it was 'against the regulations' - it was certainly 'against McLarens own regulations', but he said he was unsure about the FIA regulations.

Impeding another competitor is the same whether it's your team-mate or not. (Evidently)

A copy of the FIA ruling:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=40284

Edit: You know, given the fact that Max Mosley is asking the FIA Court Of Appeal to judge on the WMSC decision in the Spy-gate scandal, I'm beginning to think that the FIA might just have an ulterior motive for penalising the team. They're obviously not happy with McLaren being cleared:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40211

It's all getting far too political again. Why can't they just settle things on the track? :(

It'll just get appealed.

You have to remember that the stewards at any given race aren't the FIA.

MacLaren and Alonso haven't technically broken any rules. If you read the stewards findings, they say that they found that

"The actions of the team in the final minutes of qualifying are considered prejudicial to the interests of the competition and to the interests of motor sport generally"

That's quite a wide sweeping rule, and open to quite a lot of objectivity.....

McLaren will now race under appeal, with any constructors’ points they score in Hungary remaining provisional until that appeal is heard at a later date. Alonso has no right of appeal over his penalty.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/8/6594.html

Could not give two bleeps about the poxy constructors championship, glad to see Alonso was penalised though for his unsportsmanlike conduct and piss poor excuses. Anyone who thinks behaviour like that is acceptable belongs down at the other end of the grid.

I meant the constructors points....

Course he can't appeal being moved back, as the race will be done and dusted by the time the appeal is won/lost.

A few years ago at the old hockenheim circuit, Trulli (IIRC, could have been Frentzen...) was driving for us (Jordan). There was a safety car as there was a nutter walking down the track. We were runnning 3rd behind Barrichello. Barrichello pitted behind the safety car, and Trulli didn't. Trulli was then given a drive through penalty for overtaking Barrichello under a safety car! Basically a Marshall 1km down one of the straights saw Barrichello in front of Trulli on one lap, then saw Trulli in front of Barrichello on the next. Trulli didn't need to pit, and Barrichello went on to win his first race. We would have won that if it hadn't been for the stewards, who made the wrong call.

We tried to appeal it at the time, and were told to do it after the race. When we tried to appeal it later, we were told "it's too late now" as there would be no way of predicting what would have happened if Trulli had stayed in the lead.

All I'm saying is Stewards often get these things wrong.....

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/8/6594.html

Could not give two bleeps about the poxy constructors championship, glad to see Alonso was penalised though for his unsportsmanlike conduct and piss poor excuses. Anyone who thinks behaviour like that is acceptable belongs down at the other end of the grid.

Schumi and Ferrari have gotten away with far worse - the Ferrari pimps the FIA :thumbdown:

They've screwed up the championship.

The punishment definitely doesn't fit the crime. I was looking forward to a Mclaren 1/2

Can't say I blame him in the slightest. I would be too if I were a rich old Italian. ;)

Did you hear Ron at the end interview? Even he admits that the team might not have suffered a penalty if he'd had the guts to discipline his drivers in the first place. :) "But that's not my way."