The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone watching F1 Qualifying?

Pixelfill

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think fair play to him. It's not outside the rules, and it will unsettle Hamilton for the rest of the weekend.

Good move in my book.

Exactly! That's why it's a good move. Psychologically Hamilton will be on a back foot. Alonso knew that not only would it stop him from completing a final lap, it would also piss him off, because if it happened the other way it would piss Alonso off.

Apart from the obvious signs of annoyance in the press conference, I don't think Hamilton will be rattled by it at all. He'll take a quiet 5 minutes somewhere and come back all calm again. :)

I think the clip of Ron with his arm firmly round the shoulder of Alonso's trainer, said it all. It may not be against the rules, but everyone could see what Alonso was doing hardly sporting. I doubt Hamilson will be unsettled. Alonso is obviously threatened by Hamilton I would like to be a fly on the wall when Ron chats with Alonso.

Round the shoulder? Looked to me more like he had him by the scruff of the neck at first. :)

Did you see the way Ron ripped the guys ear defenders off and tossed them to one side when he first spoke to him?

Not a good move to upset the boss like that. Especially if you're trying to reinforce your position as "number one driver". More likely to be dropped for a race or two. :)

I used to think that Alonso was okay, not any more. I hope he crashes out tomorrow.

I think he'll live to regret it, he'll also be disliked by a high proportion of F1 followers in the UK and he lives in Oxford too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's advised to make a formal appology.

I hope he goes off at the first turn. Hopefully the bollocking he's getting right now will be enough to unsettle him. It's pretty obvious he's the one with the unstable emotions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron dropped him for a race as well. However I don't think he will as he wants the team points.

Very true. Even for the team with the smallest budget, we're talking £40-50 million pounds a year is spent on letting rich kids race against each other on a Sunday afternoon. There's also probably in the region of 10,000 peoples livelyhoods that depend upon F1 directly, so yes teams will do pretty much anything and everything that they legally can to get that little bit of an advantage over the next.

I wouldn't read too much into the whole "espionage" thing though. It's been blown massively out of proportion by a couple of inflated ego's. But again, the reason why Ferrari have escalated it so much is that they saw a potential chink in Mac's armour and are trying to take full advantage of it. Funny when the document apparently related to an illegal device that was on the Ferrari car during the Oz GP (which they won). So maybe Todt is a bit like Ratner after all?

I never did read much it the "espionage", but it just shows what these teams are willing to do to win. However when a driver does it, thye have issues... Well done Alonso, he saw the opportunity and he took it. Watch him win tomorrow!!! :D

I.ll be suprised if Alonso is driving for Mclaren next year now .....Ron D wants "team" players in his team, not cheats

Just goes to show the current "world champ" has to resort to cheating to beat his " rooky " team mate ...he must be scared !!

- Ian -

And a Brazilian one before him :)

Oh, good shout that man!...

How is it down there this weekend?...

Can't thank you enough for what you did at Silverstone though, I still kick myself for not having my camera on me!...

It seems the FIA didn't like this either.

Alonso has been moved 5 places down the grid and Mclaren are not allowed any constructor points tomorrow!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6929333.stm

I can't see how the FIA can impose that, however that might make Alonso think about the consequences of his actions a little more, I can see Ron taking this well :rolleyes:, No constructor points and starting from row 3 instead of the deserved 2 cars on the front row !

Oops that's a major own goal from Alonso there then. Anyone want to wager that Pedro De La Rosa gets a race drive in a grand prix soon :p

Mike

ok here we go....

Ron Dennis says the team instructed Alonso to hold position to get track position and hamilton caused it.

FIA request radio transmissions.

They then punish Mclaren, so whats the betting the radio transmission had 'Alonso go, leave the box' and not 'hold ...hold...hold...go'

Ah that would make sense - no point in lying about it.

Mike

It seems the FIA didn't like this either.

Alonso has been moved 5 places down the grid and Mclaren are not allowed any constructor points tomorrow!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6929333.stm

hmm....its a Mclaren issue....why does the FIA need to get involved anyway; they didnt hurt any other car now did they? what rule did Alonso actually break, even Damon Hill said that it was unsporting but he didn't break ANY rule.....so whats the issue?

the FIA will do anything to let Ferrari back into the championship.....complete shambles.

I think he did break a rule though.

Its surely got to be the same rule that gets the drivers if they slow down a competitor on a flying lap and as thats what doing; he was slowing down a competitor.

If it was a team order its a bit different, thats why Im sure there was no mechanic telling Alonso to wait.