The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone watching F1 Qualifying?

Pixelfill

I think the clip of Ron with his arm firmly round the shoulder of Alonso's trainer, said it all. It may not be against the rules, but everyone could see what Alonso was doing hardly sporting. I doubt Hamilson will be unsettled. Alonso is obviously threatened by Hamilton I would like to be a fly on the wall when Ron chats with Alonso.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think fair play to him. It's not outside the rules, and it will unsettle Hamilton for the rest of the weekend.

Good move in my book.

I'm not sure it will actually. To take the positive from it would be to consider Alonso as being desparate. If he really is the best in the world, he shouldn't need to resort to doing something like this. Plus he'll have a bollocking from Ron Denis for this so will know he's pi$$ed off the boss.

At the end of the day, McLaren are 1st & 2nd in the championship. Either driver could win for the team - and to Ron, that's what's important - the team. I think Alonso should remember that the team is bigger than he is - both drivers should be doing what's best for the team.

What with all the other legal stuff going on at the moment too, this isn't a good time to be seen to be doing underhand stuff like this. I can imagine what Ferrari are saying - 'Look - McLaren can't even play fair within their own team'.

Alonso - now knows he can't win in a straight out fight, so he'll do it by unfair means. Tw@t.

I think fair play to him. It's not outside the rules, and it will unsettle Hamilton for the rest of the weekend.

Good move in my book.

Agree.......all credit to Hamilton - the guy is the real deal and Alonso recognises that; hence is pulling all these schumi tricks out of the bag :D

MCLAREN ALL THE WAY :D

You mean the back. I am sure it is all tea and crumpets back there....

If only you knew how much effort is involved in coming last! :rolleyes: :D (Been working 8:30am - midnight for the last 2 weeks, and I live an hour away from work :blink:)

Alonso - now knows he can't win in a straight out fight, so he'll do it by unfair means

LOl, it's a bit of a leap to say that Alonso can't win in a straight out fight. If I were in a similar situation, I would do anything and everything I could, within the rules, to make sure I was ahead.

Reminds me of a German driver that used to do that..... :)

Reminds me of a lot of people here who slated him for those tactics then too!

I think this sort of thing doesn't help the sport as people will feel they were denied the spectacle of seeing who would really have come out on top. Ron won't like such accusations being levelled at his team the way they were back when Hakkinen and Coulthard engineered the finish to the Australian GP some years back.

If only you knew how much effort is involved in coming last! :rolleyes: :D (Been working 8:30am - midnight for the last 2 weeks, and I live an hour away from work :blink:)

LOl, it's a bit of a leap to say that Alonso can't win in a straight out fight. If I were in a similar situation, I would do anything and everything I could, within the rules, to make sure I was ahead.

Ok, ok - but if he can do it in a straight fight, then let him get on with it.

And I'm not sure i would do the same thing in a similar situation because the driver I'm messing about with is my teammate.

It's a PR suicide for Alonso.

One take on it from the commentary I was watching, is that it could have been that Alonso was waiting for clear track position for when he came out.

Did anyone else notice that Alonso was queued up behind Hamilton before the last Q session, instead of being directly behind him though in a line, like all the other drivers were, he was to one side of Hamilton. He did the same thing on one of the other qualifying rounds and tried to overtake Hamilton on the exit road I remember. It didn't show on the footage I saw, whether he tried to do the same thing again or not, it looked though from his road position that he was certainly thinking about it.

At the end of the day Lewis can do all the talking from the cockpit, cheats never prosper

it underhanded yes, cheating no.

Ok, ok - but if he can do it in a straight fight, then let him get on with it.

And I'm not sure i would do the same thing in a similar situation because the driver I'm messing about with is my teammate.

It's a PR suicide for Alonso.

All PR is good PR...

Why take the chance of losing the championship if he can do something like that. He wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes. Look at ferrari with team orders for Schumi to win.

F1 teams want to win at whatever cost, and now they want to moan when their drivers do the same?!?! :blink:

Was it not MacLaren involved in corporate espionage not so long ago :innocent:

I have never liked Alonso, however he is now growing on me :D

who? what happened? :search:

Ratners was a jewellery store chain - bit like H Samuels. Very successful.

I think it was on Wogan (chat show) - Ratner basically said that they sold complete tat, but people seemed to like it anyway.

The business pretty much collapsed over night!

I think it was on Wogan (chat show) - Ratner basically said that they sold complete tat, but people seemed to like it anyway.

Yep

Although widely regarded as "tacky", the Ratner shops and their wares were nevertheless extremely popular with the public, until Gerald Ratner made a speech at the Institute of Directors in April 1991. During the speech, he said:

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?" I say, because it's total crap. ” He compounded this by going on to remark that some of the earrings were "cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn't last as long"

Yep

Although widely regarded as "tacky", the Ratner shops and their wares were nevertheless extremely popular with the public, until Gerald Ratner made a speech at the Institute of Directors in April 1991. During the speech, he said:

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?" I say, because it's total crap. ” He compounded this by going on to remark that some of the earrings were "cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn't last as long"

:rlol: nice... ok, maybe he took it a little far.

F1 teams want to win at whatever cost, and now they want to moan when their drivers do the same?!?! :blink:

Was it not MacLaren involved in corporate espionage not so long ago :innocent:

Very true. Even for the team with the smallest budget, we're talking £40-50 million pounds a year is spent on letting rich kids race against each other on a Sunday afternoon. There's also probably in the region of 10,000 peoples livelyhoods that depend upon F1 directly, so yes teams will do pretty much anything and everything that they legally can to get that little bit of an advantage over the next.

I wouldn't read too much into the whole "espionage" thing though. It's been blown massively out of proportion by a couple of inflated ego's. But again, the reason why Ferrari have escalated it so much is that they saw a potential chink in Mac's armour and are trying to take full advantage of it. Funny when the document apparently related to an illegal device that was on the Ferrari car during the Oz GP (which they won). So maybe Todt is a bit like Ratner after all?

I used to think that Alonso was okay, not any more. I hope he crashes out tomorrow.

I think he'll live to regret it, he'll also be disliked by a high proportion of F1 followers in the UK and he lives in Oxford too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's advised to make a formal appology.