The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1995 MKIV wont start

Guest Vangsoe

Guest Vangsoe

Hi guys,

I have a 1995 MKIV TT - euro spec model. It has done like 205.000 kms, but runs like a beuaty.

All of a sudden it wont start - normally it starts immidiately.

Startermotor turns the engine with the normal revs, there is pleny of gas in the tank - but nothing :rolleyes:

Just from one day to another..

I have not checked if she has got spark yet - as i thought one of you clever guys might have an idea.

Its got a Toyota "Security" system.

Any ideas ?

Tks and best regards from Demark

Niels Vangsoe

not sure i can be much help, but i had a UK car and i don't think it will turn over if the alarm is not disarmed so i think you can rule out the "toyota security system" .........

Maybe.....

check for error codes

check for spark

check for fuel

if ok then maybe possible crank position sensor?

just ideas....

Guest Vangsoe

Hey guys,

Batteri is new - engine turns over fine.

I just read the codes - its sat:

12 - cps

78 - petrol pump control signal

Any suggestions as were to start ?

Tks a lot guys

Niels from Denmark

Tks Tricky-Ricky

Can you tell med were the fuel pump fuse is located ?

Niels

TBH i can't remember:blink: drivers foot well maybe, the fuel pump relay is under the cover in the boot on the passenger side, also it might be worth trying this, You can short pins +B and FP in the diagnostics port (with the ignition off) and then turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine) and it'll activate the fuel pump. Great for testing fuel flow, if the pump is working, and setting your static fuel pressure.

Guest Vangsoe

Tks Ricky

I´ll give that a try tomorrow - its meal time now here in Denmark - 6.30 pm.

Will be back tomorrow.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Niels - Denmark

Of course, where Tricky said drivers side and passenger side, you will probably have to swap that for a Euro-spec car, what with the steering wheel being on the left.

Hi by the way - I was one of the guys who came over for the 2005 meet you had. Any plans for another?! :D

Guest Vangsoe

Tricky-Ricky my man

You can clearly hear fuel in the fuel rail when Fp and B+ are connected with the ignition on.

But as i said, it dont smell of fuel, even whith the startermotor turning like 3 x 10 sec.

Fuse ? Relay ? Locations ?

Tks again from sunny Denmark ( for a change

Niels

If you have error codes stored but haven't reset your ECU very recently, they made be old ones and misleading. Reset your ECU and try starting the car, see if any new fault codes are logged.

Shorting +B and FP is good to see if the fuel pump is working but that bypasses pretty much everything between the EFI main relay and the fuel pump so it doesn't say if the fuel system is working when you try and start it. You can leave the short in place and try starting the car then - if it fires up then it's probably a problem with the fuel delivery system. If not it's probably something to do with the injectors not firing, maybe an earthing problem.

-Ian

Guest Vangsoe

Tks Ian - i reset the ECU - but car still wont start. I´ll try to start it with Fp and B+ connected.

CHRIS - how are you doing !! very, very long time no hear.

Where more specific is the crank position sensor located - and btw where is the cam shaft position sensor on these engines ?

I am doing good - still fidling mostly with old MKIII but as you can see, also the odd MKIV now and then.

Great to hear from you !

Many thanks to all of you for your anwers - i´ll keep you posted.

Best regards from Denmark

Niels

http://www.eucars.dk

Guest Vangsoe

Hello again guys,

With Fp and B+ connected, she fired up immidiately...

How to troubleshoot now !

Thank again

Niels from Denmark

Guest Vangsoe

Hello again guys,

Come to think about it: could it be so, that one ( if not the only ? ) function of the crank position sensor, is to send a signal to the ECU about the engine turning, so that the ECU can trick the fuel pump relay, hence starting the fuel pump ?

Can someone explain me the exact position of the crank position sensor ?

Tks mates

Niels from Denmark

http://www.eucars.dk

Hello again guys,

Come to think about it: could it be so, that one ( if not the only ? ) function of the crank position sensor, is to send a signal to the ECU about the engine turning, so that the ECU can trick the fuel pump relay, hence starting the fuel pump ?

Can someone explain me the exact position of the crank position sensor ?

Tks mates

Niels from Denmark

www.eucars.dk

Correct Niels, someone else has shown its location, good luck! There's more chance it's the connector than the sensor itself.

Guest Vangsoe

Tks guys - much appriciated.

I will give it a try later today and let you know.

Tks again for your kind assistanct.

Niels from Denmark