The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM Wideband Install

dandan

OK chaps and chapesses,

I'm going to install by AEM wideband at the weekend (hopefully) and just had a few simple questions.

1. I intend to swap out the clock for the AEM display. Is the clock easy to remove? I've had the dash out several times but never looked at the clock with any interest (obviously :) ).

2. I believe the clock has ign 12V, 12V when lights are on and ground connections. Can I just use the 12v ign feed, anyone know what the wiring and/or relevant fuse is rated to?

3. Where do people break out through the body for the sensor wiring? Mine is going in the first decat pipe by the way.

I intend to ground the AEM wideband system at the same point as my EManage Ultimate so help with calibration and offset issues from earth loops.

Cheers

Dan

Guest gzaerojon

i just installed mine last week :)

the clock is easy to remove, just 2 or 3 screws and it just falls out. After that the AEM gauge fits perfectly in the hole :)

for the wiring i just tapped into the cigarette lighter, the reason for this is because it is a switched feed and has a 20amp fuse

for the wiring to the sensor, remove the upper glove box cover (4 screws, 2 at the top under 2 covers, 2 at the bottom that you get to through the lower glove box) then take a look in the engine bay in the corner (where the charcol filter is/was) you will see a rubber shroud containing a chunk of wires and a plate with 2 10mm or 12mm nuts, remove the nuts and pull the plate forward.

you should now be able to break through the rubber and run through to the upper glove box area. i would use a wire coat hanger and tape the end of the sensor loom to it so you can poke it through :)

Aha good man thank you, cigarette lighter sounds like a good idea.

One slight problem with that wire routing is I have a passenger airbag so messing around in the "upper glovebox" area on my car is a no-no. I'll take a look (perhaps I can get through by removing the lower glovebox itself?) but it doesn't sound toooo promising.

Any other ideas people...

That's quite a long route through the firewall, when there's a rubber gromet on the transmission tunnel, that will bring the cable out just beside the passenger seat. I used that. Make sure you tie -wrap it out of the way of the mechanical linkages of the gearbox though.

That's quite a long route through the firewall, when there's a rubber gromet on the transmission tunnel, that will bring the cable out just beside the passenger seat. I used that. Make sure you tie -wrap it out of the way of the mechanical linkages of the gearbox though.

:yeahthat: that's how i've got mine. It looks like the below:

tunnel.JPG

• 9 months later...
Guest brianwilson2525
:yeahthat: that's how i've got mine. It looks like the below:

where is that exactly? ive been kinda pulling up the carpet by my passenger seat, but i dont know exactly where that is that you've got yours.

help?

I think the AEM UEGO AFR gauge requires a 10amp source for the ignition live doesnt it?

The Odometer loom has a 10amp ignition live you could use (atleast it is on my JSpec).

The gromit TLicence refers to is on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, roughly where the front of the seat is - half way up the tunnel (from the floor pan).

Edited by Angarak (see edit history)

• 5 years later...

Just to add a question to this old thread. I'm about to attempt the install tomorrow of my AEM AFR Gauge which I believe is the same as the AEM wideband; if not please correct me! :D

Am I right in saying the lambda (spelt correctly??) sensor just goes into the downpipe? My car is decatted. What happens to the existing Lambda sensor and the loom when you disconnect it?

There are also 4 wires coming from the back of the AFR gauge; one for live, one for earth and then two others. What are they for??

There are also 4 wires coming from the back of the AFR gauge; one for live, one for earth and then two others. What are they for??

Red Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse.

Black Connect to a clean ground source.

White Connects to any auxiliary unit that accepts a 0-5 volt input.

Blue connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging.

That's all taken from the installation manual and White & Blue seem to be optional concerns, i.e. not needed for the gauge to perform only to record/send info elsewhere

Red Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse.

Black Connect to a clean ground source.

White Connects to any auxiliary unit that accepts a 0-5 volt input.

Blue connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging.

That's all taken from the installation manual and White & Blue seem to be optional concerns, i.e. not needed for the gauge to perform only to record/send info elsewhere

Thanks Pedro....that's easy enough to do then....

You still need the standard one for the engine ecu

In the kit should be a bung which you will need to get welded into your decat unless there is one already there

If turbo needs to be Aprox 36" downstream from turbo, mine is in the second decat

The car is a TT with a single lone piece for the decat. The 'probe' that is already in place in the exhaust, thinking about it, is completely different by design to the actual lambda sensor from the AEM AFR unit, so that all makes sense now.

I purchased the AEM AFR 2nd hand so there was no bung with it. I'll do a search but do you know where I can purchase one from?

Thanks again....:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIDEBAND-M18-X-1-5-STAINLESSS-STEEL-EXHAUST-02-LAMBDA-SENSOR-BOSS-PORT-/350906904518?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b3ae6fc6

The sensor and, therefore, the bung needs to be fitted to the pipe at least 10 degrees above horizontal to prevent the collection of liquid between the sensor housing & sensor element during cold starts.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIDEBAND-M18-X-1-5-STAINLESSS-STEEL-EXHAUST-02-LAMBDA-SENSOR-BOSS-PORT-/350906904518?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b3ae6fc6

The sensor and, therefore, the bung needs to be fitted to the pipe at least 10 degrees above horizontal to prevent the collection of liquid between the sensor housing & sensor element during cold starts.

Thanks again Pedro, you're a star!:friday:

Oh and by the way, the clutch springs were knackered and the Stage 4 Competition Clutch is spot on.....seems 'juddery' right now but I'm sure that'll settle down once it beds it.....