The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuelling advice for GT4088

Sean1933

I have pretty much got the rest of my single conversion sorted, I just need to get the fuelling right.

What way should I setup the fuelling, and what EXACTLY is required to happily handle what the GT4088 (0.81A/R) can through at it. Do I need 2 walbro's? Uprated rail or will standard do? What injectors (im thinking 780cc Siemens - means a new rail though, but I can get the injectors at a good price) Do fuel lines need uprating, if so to what size and where is the best supplier.

I have read so many posts on fuelling but am still undecided on what is actually required of the GT4088. I don’t have bags of money, but I want this done properly.

Thanks in advance :)

GT4088 is a 65mm turbo, it will be fine on 1 Walbro GS341/342.

You could also use a Bosch 044.

You could happily use the stock fuel lines and just drop in some Hi Impedance Power Enterprise 650cc injectors into the stock rail.

GT4088 is a 65mm turbo, it will be fine on 1 Walbro GS341/342.

You could also use a Bosch 044.

You could happily use the stock fuel lines and just drop in some Hi Impedance Power Enterprise 650cc injectors into the stock rail.

Yes, I'm running exactly that. Walbro powered 650's in a stock rail. Almost maxing out at 1.4 bar @11.7 afr but If your happy with around 600 bhp keep it simple.

Yes' date=' I'm running exactly that. Walbro powered 650's in a stock rail. Almost maxing out at 1.4 bar @11.7 afr but If your happy with around 600 bhp keep it simple.[/quote']

If he's not happy with 600bhp there's something wrong with him ;)

Yes' date=' I'm running exactly that. Walbro powered 650's in a stock rail. Almost maxing out at 1.4 bar @11.7 afr but If your happy with around 600 bhp keep it simple.[/quote']

I take it thats 600 @ the fly, not wheels? I'm aiming for >600 fly so sounds good. When you say your maxing out @ 1.4 bar, do you mean the pump/injectors/lines/both?

Would i need to convert the standard rail to twin feed or will standard suffice.

I can get hold of Delphi or Seimens 788CC injectors with clips (flow @ 43.5 base pressure) for approx £225 delivered, plus a fuel rail for approx £100 i guess. Is this a better route to go down, given PE injectors are about £450 (i think)...???

I would just buy a Fuel System, most people cut corners on this step when it should be the MAIN MOST IMPORTANT step when upgrading your car to high horsepower with a Single Turbo Setup. I would just buy the kit and do it right the first time and be done with it so that you dont have to worry about how much power you can make with what you have done. Either that or blow your motor because your starving it for fuel....

Motor vs. Fuel System ???

:)

Cheers,

Joe

I would just buy a Fuel System, most people cut corners on this step when it should be the MAIN MOST IMPORTANT step when upgrading your car to high horsepower with a Single Turbo Setup. I would just buy the kit and do it right the first time and be done with it so that you dont have to worry about how much power you can make with what you have done. Either that or blow your motor because your starving it for fuel....

Motor vs. Fuel System ?

I agree with this statement .... I install a full fuel system on all my installs.

So there you have it Sean; the traders think you should spend thousands on a full fuel system.

Odd, that ;)

I'm running a gt4088 (.96AR) with PE drop ins, 1x Walbro and an Aeromotive FPR. Everything else fuel-wise is stock and works great. The stock fuel rail is much better quality than some of the aftermarket "uprated" ones.

Odd, that ;)

Yeah, strange isn't it :D

You have almost exactly the same spec as me and it's working perfectly. I don't buy all this need for a massive fuel system especially considering the results of Terry's tests on the stock rail ;)

After some of my own dabbling and also probing around on here for others' opinions I will probably run:

Bosch 044 in tank pump

Stock fuel feed line

Stock fuel filter

-6 line from filter, split to feed either end of rail

Modified dual feed rail

650cc High Imp SARD injectors

Stock FPR

Stock return line

I did have some concerns with a Walbro pushing 600bhp through stock lines (not a -8 aftermarket feed and a big free flowing rail with top fed injectors) but am assured this is no issue for a 044 so I have pretty much chosen that pump (and that's all I have left to get hold of as well). My Walbro will come out and be donated to the BPU vvti

Yeah, strange isn't it :D

You have almost exactly the same spec as me and it's working perfectly. I don't buy all this need for a massive fuel system especially considering the results of Terry's tests on the stock rail ;)

What were the results on Terry's test on the stock single feel rail.. link?

Cheers, very helpful all :D

After some of my own dabbling and also probing around on here for others' opinions I will probably run:

Bosch 044 in tank pump

Stock fuel feed line

Stock fuel filter

-6 line from filter, split to feed either end of rail

Modified dual feed rail

650cc High Imp SARD injectors

Stock FPR

Stock return line

I did have some concerns with a Walbro pushing 600bhp through stock lines (not a -8 aftermarket feed and a big free flowing rail with top fed injectors) but am assured this is no issue for a 044 so I have pretty much chosen that pump (and that's all I have left to get hold of as well). My Walbro will come out and be donated to the BPU vvti

I must say i am suprised to see you keeping the stock regulator, any reason for this over an aeromotive? Also, how would i look to convert my rail to twin feed...just tap at the other end + fit a -6 connector?

So the general consensus is stock rail + 650cc drop ins over 788cc siemens with phr/titan/etc rail...even though the latter is probably cheaper?

I must say i am suprised to see you keeping the stock regulator, any reason for this over an aeromotive? Also, how would i look to convert my rail to twin feed...just tap at the other end + fit a -6 connector?

Assuming you are going to be running at stock fuel pressure what advantage do you see to running an Aeromotive?

To convert the rail I am using 2x M12x1.25 to -6 adaptors (one end of rail drilled and tapped) and then attaching my -6 lines to those.

Assuming you are going to be running at stock fuel pressure what advantage do you see to running an Aeromotive?

To convert the rail I am using 2x M12x1.25 to -6 adaptors (one end of rail drilled and tapped) and then attaching my -6 lines to those.

Good point on the fuel pressure...anyone else care to comment?

Thanks for the advice on tapping the standard rail Dan.

I understand completely Alex re injector sizing, however if i can get say 650cc for the uprated rail, would this be a better/as good route to go compared to standard rail?

OK so 650's are OK to use with a gt4088? I ask as I am in the process of replacing my T61 and the 4088 is a very competetively priced turbo, but I was under the impression that my fuel system wouldn't be up to the job. I guess if I stay on the waste gate spring I should be OK though given as most think the 650's are OK here.

Can someone please confirm asap if PE 650cc in a stock rail (conv to twin feed) will be able to happily support a GT4088 at 1.4/1.5bar.

Or should i get 688cc delphi (my contact confirmed he can get for 250quid) and an uprated rail? works out about the same price either way...Need an answer asap.

Cheers

well for me the larger injectors are every day of the week going to be better than the smaller ones for the same money. I would say myself that expect the injectors at 1.4 bar not to cope or be at the limit of their abilities and you won't be far wrong. That said the engine itself in its stock form won't really cope with much more than 1.2 bar of boost from that turbo for long.

That said the engine itself in its stock form won't really cope with much more than 1.2 bar of boost from that turbo for long.
Why not? Touch wood, mines doing alright and I'm running 1.4 every day on the bigger .96AR flavour of the GT4088. I see no reason a stock bottom end in good order shouldn't cope with the power of a GT40. If it's mapped right, obviously.

I would be quite happy to run a .81AR gt4088 with PE650 injectors and the stock single feed rail, stock FPR and stock lines. In fact that's exactly what I plan to do for my next project, along with a cast manifold and a few other bits but keeping as much stock as poss - including SMIC.