The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Datalogging Timing

Guest Terry S

Guest Terry S

Because I am anal, I want to Datalog a VVTi's stock timing map. The JDM OBD2 uses a different protocol than European, so a normal OBD2 scanner cant read it. Sooooo, I am looking for something that I can wire from the crank trigger output to log the timing. Any ideas guys??

Guest Terry S

Yes. I wondered if anyone had actually come across a box on their travels specifically for this rather than getting my head around configuring something.

Now the Blitz R-Vit can do it, ( read degrees of timing) but AFAIK has no datalogging capabilities which is a real shame. If these things could datalog they would be perfect as they also read RPM, Pressure etc.

Guest Terry S

LMAO Chis, you have too much time ;)

also not sure it displays it all at once, but a good thought

The R-Vit also uses IR to the power meter. Wonder if Julian at RL can convert the signal??

Guest Terry S

Yes that was the plan as I can datalog pressure, AFR, TPS, AFM input via the Map ECU. If the R-Vit can be made to do it, then it becomes the hot ticket.

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by eyefi

it's all a bit "heath robinson" isn't it? :p

Absolutely mate ;)

Unless one of the other performance tuners has done it before, it may be the only way.

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by eyefi

is there no jap obd2 scan tools? i would have thought there would b

Possible but not sure I could read it if I got one??

Guest Terry S

Thanks Matt, I looked at something similar, but they apparently wont recognise the JDM only ones, In fact I know someone who has all the Toyota Europe readers, and they wont recognise it either.

Guest Terry S

If I knew that I would be a happy man:)

The VVTi TT was never destined to be sold outside Japan, so they have their own OBD2 protocol apparently.