The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a car - advice..

francis

Hi there guys

In the process of buying a Smart car for the daily commute. Have found a great example, the guy seems trustworthy etc but he is selling the car for a mate who has since left the country. Are there any precautions I should be taking before I hand over my cash? And also where is the best place to get a HPI check these days?

Cheers!

Francis

Hmm he does seem genuine and I've put down a deposit as they seem to go really quick and this one's a bit of a bargain. He's advertised it on PH and Autotrader.. Is there anything else I can do to put my mind at rest besides an HPI?

I used the RAC one for my Supe and was very impressed. The ones where you get a few for your money were not very thorough at all.

Don't penny pinch on a major purchase!! ;) Could cost you dear in the long run mate!!

H.

:yeahthat:

I've gone through the disbelief of having a finance company call me up saying, "You've got our car" and wouldn't want it to happen again.

(And this was a car bought from someone I knew and trusted as 'genuine'!)

Hi there guys

In the process of buying a Smart car for the daily commute. Have found a great example, the guy seems trustworthy etc but he is selling the car for a mate who has since left the country. Are there any precautions I should be taking before I hand over my cash? And also where is the best place to get a HPI check these days?

Cheers!

Francis

Francis, Does this mean I won't be able to admire your Supra when I see it parked in the Boltons on my way to work?

:yeahthat:

I've gone through the disbelief of having a finance company call me up saying, "You've got our car" and wouldn't want it to happen again.

(And this was a car bought from someone I knew and trusted as 'genuine'!)

This happened to one of my son's, he bought a Calibra (suppose some would say it served him right), and got a call from a finance Co. saying they wanted it back. Luckily he had the advert from Autotrader and proved that he bought it in good faith and not from the guy who owed the money. One of my mates is a lawyer and he told Paul my son what to write and do and he managed to get clear title to the car. But had the guy he bought it from owed the cash he would have been F*.*ed.

Hey Shane,

Actually I've got myself a parking space at the Cromwell Road Sainsbury's these days so I tend not to park it on the street. I'm not getting rid of the Supra though, the Smart's just for the daily commute :)

Lucky man, wish I could find a space somewhere local. When I drive in nowadays I tend to park it in Kinnerton St underground as that's closest to the office but costs about

£34 for the day
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif
We have a development going on at tregunter at the moment and when that's finished in Feb/Mar I should have my old space back in the mews for occasional use. So for the time being I am still commuting daily by train and tube. Good luck with the smart. One of our guys has one and really rates it.