The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If you like Miuras.....

Chris Wilson

You'll love this article, I have spent the last hour absorbed in this. A good friend of mine is, I believe, responsible for the first conversion of an early Miura engine from combined transmission / engine oil, to divorced, and it was done way, way back when, in Bolton, here in the UK. I see this US shop has done something similar. The early stock Miuras had the engine and transmission oils combined, like in a Mini. Engine wear was horrific as a result of the shrapnel in the lubricant, and gear wear was bad as engine oil is not ideal for lubricating gear trains. By divorcing them wear and lubrication for both are vastly improved, and temperatures are lower.

I always knew Lamborghinis were, and are, rot boxes, but hadn't realized what a complex and water retaining structure the centre section is.

Fascinating site!!

http://www.lambomiura.com/lambomiura.htm

I remember watching the Italian Job as a kid and being mesmerised by the start sequence.

Very nice link Chris:d

Interesting how Magnaflux gave the OK and it still needed changing.

Also interesting how nobody else thought of the stiffening bits inside the frame. Could it be that they might retain/trap water/moisture or that it's a genuinely good idea? :search:

The 'rust' bits do nothing to change my view of italian cars. I used to be a big fan of them until I wised up;)

For a second there I thought a Miura was another weird animal you'd added to the collection. :D

These guys have/are developing a replica at the moment - http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/indexframe.html

What did they do before making replicas, build Bailey bridges for the military? :) That chassis is truly disgusting. looks like someone said here's 150 metres of big section square tube, make something ugly and be sure to use EVERY last inch ;)

What did they do before making replicas, build Bailey bridges for the military? :) That chassis is truly disgusting. looks like someone said here's 150 metres of big section square tube, make something ugly and be sure to use EVERY last inch ;)

I didn't say it was any good! Sadly you see a lot of that in the kit car world. :(

Who is it that make the rather nice Gt40 chassis you were on about a bit ago, is it KVA? Adrian Reynard designed a fairly decent chassis for the RAM Cobra kit cars.

There's been lots of them come and go, all quite different under the skin.

The ultimate GT-40 replica at the moment has to be http://www.cav.co.za/ (The one I mentioned)

http://www.cav.co.za/images/chassis.jpg

The CAV GT has a tig-welded, stainless-steel monocoque chassis designed for torsional stiffness. Its integrity is ensured through CNC punched and bent panels and laser cut parts.

The chassis is welded in jigs and its dimensional accuracy is superb. It features an integral roll over bar and side impact protection bars. Every CAV GT chassis is manufactured to accept a bolt-in roll cage for racing purposes.

Too a layman like me it's impressive. The finished models I've seen have been simply stunning.