The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running lean - Help!

Pig

I've actually found a very interesting thing on a VW the other day, not sure if it is standard practice or not these days, but something like this would be a good idea I reckon...

When the VW first starts, it runs the fuel pump for around 5 seconds if it does not detect fuel pressure in the injector rail it shuts the pump down...

I'm not 100% sure what happens if the car is running and that happens, however something like this should be easy enough to retro fit. Simply an adjustable pressure switch (fuel type),a relay and a BIG FAT BUZZER/LIGHT.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea is the 2 fuel pumps have seperate power feeds so if one fails the other keeps going. ...well thats my none technical view.

But if the one pump running on its own isn't upto the job then there's a chance of a :bang:.

That's my none technical view. ;)

the vvti has a knock sensor linked to the electronic throttle... any knock and it shuts the throttle. I like this a lot, especially reading all these threads. it does work very well.

My system uses 2 pumps also, with 2 seperate relays, each pump seperated with valves inbetween them to stop any backflow under failure. The system will run on one pump only. two are there just incase.

this is single building 101 so I thought.

the vvti has a knock sensor linked to the electronic throttle... any knock and it shuts the throttle. I like this a lot, especially reading all these threads. it does work very well.

My system uses 2 pumps also, with 2 seperate relays, each pump seperated with valves inbetween them to stop any backflow under failure. The system will run on one pump only. two are there just incase.

this is single building 101 so I thought.

Yours was built by one of the few that actually understand the craft...and the details...the details are key.

Were getting there with this problem, i made a vid of how the fuel pressure is behaving last night.

I took the fuel pump out and wired it up with a relay and so there is no bare wire in the tank.

(All thanks to michel talking me through every single step at a time. What a patient guy, Thanks so much again)

Got everything back together, but while doing up the braided hose i knackered it and fuel pissed everywhere :(

So off to buy a hacksaw today and do that last bit again.

Also going to order a FPR just incase that is whats at fault.

I wont be able to put pics of the fuel setup up today as they are on the computer at home.

Also, i struggled to get the sensor in the right place in the fuel tank (poss due to it being dark and poss due to the fact that i forgot which bit went where)

Here is the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuOLc3ZhnYk

mine is running 40psi jon, i am going to get the garage to check mine out as i have the same setup as you, "would a problem with the pumps cause any back firing on boost"

You back firing on boost??? Whats that about - time to get it checked mate!

Can someone please advise me on a way to get another Fuel pressure regulator by tomorrow. Incase thats what buggered on mine..

Cheers

Jon

Can someone please advise me on a way to get another Fuel pressure regulator by tomorrow. Incase thats what buggered on mine..

Cheers

Jon

You are welcome to use mine as it is just sat on my drive until the 6th August, you can either keep it and get me a new one (mine is brand new, only fitted the day before the car went pop! or give it back when your new one arrives ?

You are welcome to use mine as it is just sat on my drive until the 6th August, you can either keep it and get me a new one (mine is brand new, only fitted the day before the car went pop! or give it back when your new one arrives ?

Would be superb. Will know if its knackered hopefully by tonight.

Am running low on days now :rolleyes: Will give you a call, if mine is bust then ill do a straight swap for your working one ;)

Thanks

Cheers

Jon

getting done as we speak mate, i am confident it will all be sorted by friday:rolleyes:

Gaz1, you sure it's backfire and not a missfire...tired plugs could fail to spark at high boost...

poss misfire alex but i changed my plugs 3 times now in the last 3 months:rolleyes: it is in the garage at the moment, he has a list of the things that need sorting so fingers crossed;)

poss misfire alex but i changed my plugs 3 times now in the last 3 months:rolleyes: it is in the garage at the moment, he has a list of the things that need sorting so fingers crossed;)

Could be your coil packs are on their last legs.....if it's not the map/AEM.

Just to clarify Gaz, it is misfiring when accelerating on boost, not backfiring when you let off the throttle?

Do you know what plugs you have fitted?

As Alex says if it is on boost then probably down to coil packs of the plastic connectors to the coil packs.

As said in pm mate if it's missing slighty off boost also i would switch off RLTC and see if disappears.

If not exspect its probably a cooked spark, What AFR are you seeing when it does miss on boost?

mid 10s usualy;)

Update: the fuel system is now sorted but had no luck.

I feel its down to one of the following:

1. faulty MAP sensor (is fine at low boost/tickover)

2. AEM has lost its map

3. Engine faulty - poss valve related.

I will now not be bringing the car to JAE i will be booking it in asap to find out whats wrong :( After all mine and michel lane's hard work im gutted.

Gaz, what plugs do you have an what are they gapped to?

While mine was running rich (in the 10's) it was killing a set of copper NGK's for every tank of petrol. Since getting a proper map and decreasing the gap to 0.7mm it's running without any misfires or plug-killing issues.

I also found that once the copper NGK's start misfiring, they're as good as dead and have to be swapped.

Im sorry to hear about this Jon, Have u got the AEM software on your Laptop??? If so when it was running did you connect to it? i know it automatically stores the current working map on your laptop... If you have this you could try and reload it onto the ECU.

Have you allso tested the voltage of the MAP Sensor?

My car too won't be at JAE as there has been one or two unforseen delays :-(

Gaz, what plugs do you have an what are they gapped to?

While mine was running rich (in the 10's) it was killing a set of copper NGK's for every tank of petrol. Since getting a proper map and decreasing the gap to 0.7mm it's running without any misfires or plug-killing issues.

I also found that once the copper NGK's start misfiring, they're as good as dead and have to be swapped.

i have asked the garage to swap them also new coilpack connecters, as i am not sure if they came with the coil packs when t/f fitted them, would be nice if you could have a look at jae mate, ( before you get hammered):D