The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running lean - Help!

Pig

:) Im one step ahead of you. Actually he pm'd me to offer advise. I wouldnt even know where to buy a relay!

Jon, the high idle issue is just an AEM quirk. After the AEM has lost power, for the first time it's started, it will idle high. Turn it off once, and it'll return to normal.

Regarding the fuel pumps, ideally, it should have two power wires going in, and two earth wires coming out, (or commoned to a suitable point). It sounds like Michel is pointing you in the right direction with the use of a relay.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon, the high idle issue is just an AEM quirk. After the AEM has lost power, for the first time it's started, it will idle high. Turn it off once, and it'll return to normal.

Ok...... well that means the AEM has lost power. Would that mean my map could have been lost? Or just that the battery has been disconnected?

Ok...... well that means the AEM has lost power. Would that mean my map could have been lost? Or just that the battery has been disconnected?

Map will not have been lost, may be a bad connection somewhere and power was lost for a split second or so.

YOU GOT 1 GUESS ........The clients will be posting some feedbacks later.

Say no more.

It's a damn shame that quite a few members' cars seem to have been completely fcuked up by these guys. I don't know both sides of any of the stories but what's flying around on the forums right now makes for very unpleasant reading. :(

One Walbro 341 or 342 arguably has enough flow (at up to 1.4bar of boost - something like 60psi of fuel pressure) for about 600bhp at the flywheel.

This is with uprated lines filter and rail (not necessarily the case with the kind of back pressures that may be generated by the stock lines/rail to get 60psi and the required flow for that power level).

One Walbro 341 or 342 arguably has enough flow (at up to 1.4bar of boost - something like 60psi of fuel pressure) for about 600bhp at the flywheel.

This is with uprated lines filter and rail (not necessarily the case with the kind of back pressures that may be generated by the stock lines/rail to get 60psi and the required flow for that power level).

Agreed, I just think that in this case for the big power buys that surely investing in a bigger pump that can handle high pressure/flow rates would be allot less complicated than going with twins...

It's finding a single larger pump that will fit inside the tank that's a problem.

Walbro's react well to increased voltage...if you can find a way to boost the voltage it receives you'll increase your head room.

The Bosch 044 is about the only bigger pump I can think of, don't think many people have tried mounting them in tank - as they are so bloody big :)

Walbro's react well to increased voltage...if you can find a way to boost the voltage it receives you'll increase your head room.

The Bosch 044 is about the only bigger pump I can think of, don't think many people have tried mounting them in tank - as they are so bloody big :)

Isn't it lucky i have an aftermarket fuel tank.. Thats the particular pump i have in mine. :-)

Isn't it lucky i have an aftermarket fuel tank.. Thats the particular pump i have in mine. :-)

Yours seems particularly well put together, and it even made the sort of horse power it should...which is pleasantly surprising as 99% of Dan's maps have under performed in the HP dept.

Yours seems particularly well put together, and it even made the sort of horse power it should...which is pleasantly surprising as 99% of Dan's maps have under performed in the HP dept.

Well i'm hoping it is.... And was originally put together by a tuning company in Japan with all the "Right" Mods.... with huge potential.... I'll be at JAE on Sunday so hope to see u arround then.

If I understand this right, Jon's problem may be the twin pumps wired into the original single pump power supply.

At low power (up to low boost) when the pump(s) are running at low voltage the fuel supplied is sufficient, but when the ECU switches the pumps up to full voltage there isn't enough power available through the small guage wiring to power both the pumps so the engine suffers fuel starvation?

The answer is to fit a relay powered by the original power supply and run a big fat power wire from the battery to the relay, then to the pumps.

Is this about right?

If I understand this right, Jon's problem may be the twin pumps wired into the original single pump power supply.

At low power (up to low boost) when the pump(s) are running at low voltage the fuel supplied is sufficient, but when the ECU switches the pumps up to full voltage there isn't enough power available through the small guage wiring to power both the pumps so the engine suffers fuel starvation?

The answer is to fit a relay powered by the original power supply and run a big fat power wire from the battery to the relay, then to the pumps.

Is this about right?

If this is the case then my new twin pumps may have been fitted in the same way as it was the same garage and this perhaps led to the DET in the engine failure ?

If this is the case then my new twin pumps may have been fitted in the same way as it was the same garage and this perhaps led to the DET in the engine failure ?

Wouldnt suprise me. The det is VERY sudden and was fine untill last use when it was sat around for a while. Could it be something that comes about completly randomly?

Is this about right?

This does seem like it would make sense but wasn't it running ok before this problem suddenly started?

If this is the problem I would have thought the symptoms would have been experienced since the pumps installation :search: