The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running lean - Help!

Pig

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon Cannister sounds right. Doh, i hoped that may have been something to do with it.

A/f R are fine as you start to come on boost then the suddenly whip over to completly lean (off scale) the then stay there - the 1st time i noticed the A/F R i was at WOT and they were firmly in the RED..completly off the scale.

Good job i bought expensive internals

Christian you spanner:D

I meant are the af/r's consistently lean across the rev range or just at 5k. would give a clue as to what's going on.

How are you mate? ( sorry for the hijack John)

LOL! Sorry John :) Good point! :) Yeah, I'm very well thanks. Hope you and family are well too. Will meet up at TOTB beer & curry night .. :thumbs:

Sorry .. Pig for the :hijack: Back on topic.

your fuel pressure is definitely low...I run at 2.7 bar.

Thoroughly check your hoses & conections.

I haven't heard of an aeromotive going wrong but there's allways a first time.

also check the vac hose to the map sensor & AEM

I would doubt that the map has changed but..

Can you check the map yourself?

John

If you start it now what does it idle at?

Are you using the stock MAF still?

Have you had a good look for loose electrical leads? Both in the engine bay and where the ECU is?

Idles at 1k

Nope, now using AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor.

Had a look but cant see anything, the wires around the ECU are an absolute mess so dont know if there is anything loose the TBH

your fuel pressure is definitely low...I run at 2.7 bar.

Thoroughly check your hoses & conections.

I haven't heard of an aeromotive going wrong but there's allways a first time.

also check the vac hose to the map sensor & AEM

I would doubt that the map has changed but..

Can you check the map yourself?

John

Cant check the map myself, wouldnt know where to start TBH - prob not a good idea TBH

Checked all those hoses and cant find anything wrong.

30psi isn't unheard of. I think Matt Harwood runs 28psi!. 30psi will not see a sudden issue at 5k. But 40psi is more like stock.

The issue is sensor or air related IMO.

Just been out for a quick test. Put the car in 5th at about 2k and put my foot flat. As boost comes on A/R go to 10.5 - 11.? as power gains more between 4-5 k they rose up to 13 at which point i lifted off as i knew what was next :(

Going to give up now and just pay someone to put everything right

Ah....Am I beginning to spot a pattern emerging?

Although my eyesight may be shite, I'm pleased to say that my foresight is excellent! - I spotted that pattern about a year ago, but got flamed for my opinion :rolleyes:

Jon, sorry to see you're still having problems. Check the pipework going to the stock MAP sensor and any MAP sensors relating to what-ever ECU you're running these days. Check the pipe is secured, not split, and trace it back as far as you can...

I knew of the work but didnt want to discuss the details unless you were happy to.

Knowing the tuning company that did the work I would be surprised if they knocked something but it was a very thorough list of checks and theres a chance something got nudged.

If they were in the footwell looking at the wiring then its also possible that something came loose. These cars get spaghetti in the footwells after a lot of work and its easy for something to play up and give the strangest results.

If it was me I would get it taken back to the tuning company to check it over free of charge. If it was running okay before it went in and now it isnt then it points towards something they did during their checks.

JB

I'd tend to agree - just remembered the list of checks your car went through and it was very thorough.

I know my passenger side footwell for example is as tidy as we could make it with fields harness / soldered joins and MAP2 ECU in there but it's still like spaghetti junction and would take a while to find a fault.

Cheers,

Brian.

What the FUCK is a can of RedBull doing in your engine bay ?!? Giving it wings ?

Jesus Christ Greg @ TF!! I wouldn't trust you lot to build me a mechano car in your Al Queda automotive training camp - nevermind do a single install.

YEEEEE-HHHHHAAAAAAA !!!!

Jon,

Have you got a fuel pressure sensor or is it just a gauge pumbed onto the FPR?

If it's a sensor, and you feel confident enough to, you can do a run and log the following:-

Engine speed

Engine load

O2#1

Ign timing

Fuel injector #01 pulse

Fuel pressure (this is most likely MAF volts if a sensor is fitted)

Post up the log file, and we'll see where it's going wrong.

Also, check if O2 feedback is turned on. If so have a look to see what the maximum load and maximum rpm values are set to.

If you have any problems doing any of that give us a shout and I'll see if I can talk you through it.

Best of luck!

Tony

Bloody hell Jon, there's a lot of nasty stuff there... But, it's nothing I haven't seen before from the same company, on more than one occasion, and on several different cars :rolleyes:

Being a trader in the past, I've tried to keep my views off this board, but now I'm not a trader, I'll say what I think! :D

Jon, if there's anything I can help with, feel free to give me a shout.

Perhaps one of the pumps has failed in some way and the second one is backfeeding through the first under high pressures - so as boost goes up, delivery goes down.

Or, a boost leak on the MAP sensor reference hose, so under positive pressure it starts venting?

Have you got any access to diagnostics/datalogging on the AEM, that'd help immensely, we could check duty cycles and the inputs from the MAP sensor etc.

Hope you get your money back for that colossal bodge job btw :(

-Ian

I've just seen "the list". Furkinell!!! Could be any number of a million things. :(

Still, start at the start and see if you can get those things logged. Also does always happen when you go over 5000rpm, or is it only under boost?

Is only when on boost.

Upped the fuel pressure to 38psi tonight but didnt make any difference.

Not going to start plugging the laptop in as its off for repair at the moment. Am on a spare without the right connection.

Goingto just get the car booked in for all the work to be done.

Thanks for all your help though guys.

Jon

I could bring it as its perfectly driveable. The trouble is i cant help myself, even ended up drifting tonight (while testing ;))

With me, if i cant drive it properly the answer is not to drive it at all...... i will only end up breaking it :)

I could bring it as its perfectly driveable. The trouble is i cant help myself, even ended up drifting tonight (while testing ;))

With me, if i cant drive it properly the answer is not to drive it at all...... i will only end up breaking it :)

:D

Just thinking though maybe some of us there might find the problem with it. Not that i am saying to drive it.