The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running lean - Help!

Pig

Just checked hoses and all seem fine. I am wondering if it could be that 1 of the fuel pumps has packed up? They "should" both be new walbro's.

Is there a way to check if they are both working?

I am not hugely technical, but I recently had a bit of an issue with revs and fueling of my car! Where the car cut out on the M25. The problem turned out to be the fitting of the walbro fuel pump. The grounding wire had not been soldered in, and therefore had managed to work itself loose.

Might be a good thing to check!

Although my eyesight may be shite, I'm pleased to say that my foresight is excellent! - I spotted that pattern about a year ago, but got flamed for my opinion :rolleyes:

I dont think that I flamed you for your opinion (well I hope not) but I am going to have agree with you on this now. ;)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Just thinking though maybe some of us there might find the problem with it. Not that i am saying to drive it.

Thats a REALLY good idea, i wonder if i should bring some spanners. Does anyone have a laptop that they might be able to bring?

The grounding wire had not been soldered in, and therefore had managed to work itself loose.

What a suprise!!! :rolleyes:

I dont think that I flamed you for your opinion (well I hope not) but I am going to have agree with you on this now. ;)

No mate... You didn't listen, but you didn't flame for my opinion either :D :innocent:

jon 2 things no1 i can bring my laptop, no2 if you go ragging it i will kick ya ass, will chat tomorow;)

Thanks mate, i still have some thinking to do as im sure if its worth taking it out like this.

What time you going down on friday? Slow convoy? Im not leaving till 17:30 - 18:00 though

Thanks mate, i still have some thinking to do as im sure if its worth taking it out like this.

What time you going down on friday? Slow convoy? Im not leaving till 17:30 - 18:00 though

i will be there by then half cut i reckon, picking mine up about 10am ,mmmmmmm we shall see;) i will call you in the morning anyway mate;)

Makes me wonder about the fitting of my twin pumps and if they had anything to do with my failure? is that possible ?

In theory, if one pump drops out, the other will take over and ramp up to the pressure set by the FPR. There is obviously a pressure drop when this happens so potentially it would run lean for a very short period while the 2nd pump compensates. A good discussion point though (but has been done before – one reason why I stick to a single pump!).

This is purely from what I've read here, but one thing I see as a common fault from TF is the wiring for the fuel pump(s). If mine had been fitted there I would certainly be pulling the pump, checking the wiring is correctly soldered and insulated, and ensuring the hoses are fitted correctly up to the filter/FPR.

In theory, if one pump drops out, the other will take over and ramp up to the pressure set by the FPR. There is obviously a pressure drop when this happens so potentially it would run lean for a very short period while the 2nd pump compensates. A good discussion point though (but has been done before – one reason why I stick to a single pump!).

This is purely from what I've read here, but one thing I see as a common fault from TF is the wiring for the fuel pump(s). If mine had been fitted there I would certainly be pulling the pump, checking the wiring is correctly soldered and insulated, and ensuring the hoses are fitted correctly up to the filter/FPR.

Interesting, I had a big problem with the fuelling after the fitting of the FPR and twin pumps, I had a major leak in the engine bay from a split pipe and when replaced the FPR failed, I was told by the mapper this may have had an impact on the failure?, the fuel problem was the day before mapping

Sorry get back on track for this thread

Interesting, I had a big problem with the fuelling after the fitting of the FPR and twin pumps, I had a major leak in the engine bay from a split pipe and when replaced the FPR failed, I was told by the mapper this may have had an impact on the failure?, the fuel problem was the day before mapping

Sorry get back on track for this thread

It'll be well worth starting a new thread in Tech for that mate, certainly worthwhile if the mapper said it contributed to the failure.

Sorry Jon, back on topic ;)

I have a car here, the fuel system has been wired up wrong, the 2 pumps are direct to a 12volts feed from the harness in the cabin...dohhhhhhh, no relay or fuses just 2 wires attached to feed. Also the fuel lines in the fuel cell are blue silicon vac hoses......thats just asking for trouble especially when they react with the fuel and get very soft. Yes its with me to sort out the problems that the car is having.

I have a car here, the fuel system has been wired up wrong, the 2 pumps are direct to a 12volts feed from the harness in the cabin...dohhhhhhh, no relay or fuses just 2 wires attached to feed. Also the fuel lines in the fuel cell are blue silicon vac hoses......thats just asking for trouble especially when they react with the fuel and get very soft. Yes its with me to sort out the problems that the car is having.

Do you know (and can you say) who did the previous work Michel?

That's criminal :blink:

My fuel pumps have 2 wires wired into 1 and then running off the original plug.

The piping is black.

This seems it could be the issue. The reason why i feel the fuel pumps is a good place to start is Graham C had a high idling issue and mine did the same (only once).

If i took the pumps out and soldered the wires could the make the difference i need to go to JAE?

The next question would be...... how do i get the braided hose off the top of the pump holder? as i need to take that off to get the pumps out (dont want to solder in the tank ;))

My fuel pumps have 2 wires wired into 1 and then running off the original plug.

The piping is black.

This seems it could be the issue. The reason why i feel the fuel pumps is a good place to start is Graham C had a high idling issue and mine did the same (only once).

If i took the pumps out and soldered the wires could the make the difference i need to go to JAE?

The next question would be...... how do i get the braided hose off the top of the pump holder? as i need to take that off to get the pumps out (dont want to solder in the tank ;))

PIG pm Michel, Im sure he'll have no problem talking you through how to correctly wire in two pumps along with a relay.

PIG pm Michel, Im sure he'll have no problem talking you through how to correctly wire in two pumps along with a relay.

:) Im one step ahead of you. Actually he pm'd me to offer advise. I wouldnt even know where to buy a relay!