The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Injector Capacity?

CJ

Every Days a School Day as they say!

I've seen the HKS Purple Fuel Rail Looks quite fancy!!

Having read some of this thread for my near future plans of reasonale boost increase from stock turbo's (is 1.4 - 1.6bar feasable with J-Spec ceramic turbo's?) would i be fine running 800cc injectors, would i need upgrade fuel pressure regulator?

E-manage should be able to adjust duty down enough for the size increase i would ahve thought???

When the J-Spec TT's give the ghost looks like the price of Single kits is making Hybrid Twins not seem worth while.....

So a decent enough Single kit good for say 1.8- 2bar max, cams lighter valve gear and depending on lottery results, another engine upgrade parts i can afford!!

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND I MUSY BEAT MY MATES' RX7 AND SKYLINE AT ALL COSTS!! THEY MUST DIE I MUST WIN!!! Well 1/4mile and V-Max runs anyway!!!

Originally posted by Ian C

Isn't there something to do with pressure as well? The fuel system needs a certain pressure at the injectors and if there is a bottleneck at the entrance to the fuel rail it may drop pressure there before it gets to the injectors.

Probably not a big factor though unless you go for daft power. I got a HKS rail as I had top feed injectors. The side feed ones only came into our circulation just after I'd forked out. But it looks nice :p

-Ian

Hmmm yes I believe so. That's why I thought you would run at the maximum pressure the injectors can handle when you're at idle, (assuming you have a 1:1 reg. of course, but they're a whole'nother already done to death thread)

That way when the revs/load rise, the injectors will be getting the maximum amount of fuel pressure possible. Then you can run a much lower duty, than say having the pressure at 50% of what the injectors can handle and then running longer duties? Does that make sense? Am I talking rubbish, I don't know.

Dude, you spent quite an amount of time building your fuel system (I saw the pics), how did you go about specc'ing the components? (I know how to work out injector sizing, but don't know how you decided on fuel pressure and rail spec's etc...)

Cheers

Tony

Originally posted by TLicense

Hmmm yes I believe so. That's why I thought you would run at the maximum pressure the injectors can handle when you're at idle, (assuming you have a 1:1 reg. of course, but they're a whole'nother already done to death thread)

That way when the revs/load rise, the injectors will be getting the maximum amount of fuel pressure possible. Then you can run a much lower duty, than say having the pressure at 50% of what the injectors can handle and then running longer duties? Does that make sense? Am I talking rubbish, I don't know.

Dude, you spent quite an amount of time building your fuel system (I saw the pics), how did you go about specc'ing the components? (I know how to work out injector sizing, but don't know how you decided on fuel pressure and rail spec's etc...)

Cheers

Tony

Agreed Tony. I set my static pressure to 36psi, and then upped it to 40psi and noticed a marked increase in the fuelling, so having a lower duty cycle and a higher pressure (providing you start off that way and you keep the pressure sensible) is a good thing.

As for speccing a fuel system, you start off with what maximum power you think you'll be delivering, select beefy enough injectors, and refer to known examples for pumps/line sizes/rails etc.. Finding out what little bits join everything up is the fun/expensive part - mucho trial and error, especially when different parts use different fitting standards :mad:

-Ian

Originally posted by Stevie Boy

is 1.4 - 1.6bar feasable with J-Spec ceramic turbo's?

No! :eek: You'd blow them up in a very short time.

Besides, I seem to recall reading on here that J-spec turbos are past their peak efficiency by 1.3 bar, so you'd not be gaining anything anyway.

The formula for the relative amount of fuel you get with changing pressures is this:-

sqrt((new pressure)/(old pressure)) * 100

So for 40psi over 36psi that would be sqrt(40/36)*100 = 105%.

So that's like having 5% bigger injectors. If you rearrange you can find out what pressure you need for a given increase in fueling:-

new pressure = (desired increase%/100)^2 * old pressure

For example if you wanted to make 440cc injectors look like 550cc ones you would need to raise the fuel pressure from 36 to 56psi, as 550/440 is a 125% increase in fuel and (125/100)^2 * 36 is 56.25.

Fairly sure that's right anyway...:innocent:

Originally posted by b'have

Thats an interesting formula Simon, I am running 52psi through 550's will that compromise low speed fueling? I have always had a lumpy idle but put that down to 264 cams. Can't seem to dial it out with the SAFC. what do you think?

Errrrr, dunno.:innocent: you've reached my limit of knowledge on the subject! I don't see why it should affect low speed fueling as long as you have compensated for all that extra fuel with your SAFC (you'll be getting the same fuel as if you had 680cc injectors at the stock pressure). I take it you've had it on a dyno or have a wideband to see what the fueling is doing? On the Emanage you'd put a correction factor in to reduce the fueling everywhere, then add fuel where you want it with the additional injector doobrie. I don't know much about the SAFC.

Guest Terry S

Charlie, at low speeds or TP, the ecu should go into Closed Loop and adjust the fuelling accordingly. However there is only so much it can adjust. Have you not got an AFR gauge in there???

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by dandan

On a Jap spec with stock ecu and no piggy backs?

No with piggy back, BUT the piggy back was running a Map at lest 10% rich ( off the lamba scale)