The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Cloverfield" - new JJ Abrams movie - anyone else excited?

Seb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look here:

http://community.livejournal.com/011808/

Loads of stuff about 'Cloverfield'.

It appears that the Ethan Haas stuff may relate to a video game.

Also, on the 1-18-08 site you can move the pics around. The pic of the two girls is actually just one girl (cut the pic in half, swap sides and the match together!) and oddly, the pics move if left unattended. I thought it was me but a search reveals that, yes they do move and, weirder, it appears they are in some sort of countdown!

I've spent a lot of time looking into this today. There are numerous site re: cloverfield. Some aren't immediately obviously linked.

Anything Haas related is a totally different thing. Nothing to do with the film and very little else out there about it.

Time will tell.

is there a novel or something where i can start?

NO! Basically what we have right now is the beginnings of an ARG (Alternate Reality Game). Hidden in that trailer are clues and hints. Already one site has been found (1-18-08.com) and others are following although how closely they are related is as yet unclear (http://www.slusho.jp for example. In the trailer one of the characters is drinking a Slusho drink. Slusho is also a term used to describe a certain type of 'Lost' fan.)

New sites will offer new images. These images will contain clues. They may be obvious or buried 'within' the picture (Photoshop comes in very handy). They'll be phone numbers and emails and it all gets very consuming.

I get very into the Matrix ARG to the point where I was forgetting to go to bed!

Stay away!;)

The Haas stuff looks to be a viral campaign for a new RPG called Alpha Omega by Mind Storm Labs.

When playing the Haas game there is mention of "the beginning is the end" and IIRC Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet and Omega is the last.

Of more interest, and related to the film clip, is Bloop or The Bloop. This is a mysterious low frequency noise recorded in 1997 by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration,. Mentiond is made of the fact that if it was animal in origin it would have to have been made by an animal larger than anything currently known. Hmm... the real world co-ordinates are even more bizzare in a fiction meets reality way. It was found to be at a point not fair from the 'fictional' sunken city of the dead, Rl'yeh, home to Cthulu and created by H.P. Lovecraft.

I reckon the film will be about Cthulu rising to wreak havoc on man or, at least, it'll be about some enormous beast with a plot hanging around the real-life 'Bloop'.

Ah well, shame I wasted all that time on the Ethan Haas site! People now talking about Rampage the movie, though that would be a bit of a cop out!

Just read about the Bloop - that's pretty damn cool! I'm definitely hoping for a Cthulhu film though it might be wishful thinking.

Btw, this guy *really*likes Cthulhu http://hellric.over-blog.com/categorie-783053.html

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

JJ Abrams, producer of this film was a panellist at Comic-Con today. He showed the first teaser poster and revealed nothing more about the film except that there will be a full trailer and some other stuff over the next six months.

Cue hundreds of p1553d off ARG fans!

Here is the teaser poster:

This does look good, my scifi sense is tingling :) Shame it's aeons away :( I hope it doesn't get hyped to death. I've seen a trailer where it's someone with a video camera at a house party and then bad things start happening outside with some serious roaring going on at the horizon...

I also found out about the bloop thing some months ago via a couple of links off a webcomic site, listened to it, very strange.

-Ian

• 3 months later...