The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC Better?

Tricky-Ricky

... But you could use bonnet vents to feed the hot air out and cold air in ?

You have to be careful with the location of bonnet vents, otherwise you might be redirecting hot air around components that were not designed to take it.

My favourite location would be a few inches after the rads, bit like the EVO. Increases the efficiency of all rads without contaminating the rest of the bay.

Cold air would come in through a scoop, not a vent.

Even trickier, as you could end up buggering the existing underbonnet airflow.

And an uprated rad fan ?

uprated?:D

compared to the stock one?

How so? with the bull static cfm figures they brandish around?;). I'd search long and hard first.

I'm sure I've seen cooling fans on traders websites. Hmm, I'll to check.

LOL! John, you have to admit you can't just mod a car and say "I want to run highboost above stock."

"Aaahahhh .. but I can't uprate anything else needed because it wasn't designed for it. Oh bugger it - I'll run higher boost anyway."

Your stockers weren't designed to run 1.2 bar were they ? ;) (As in Toyota in their tech specs ... designed your car and everyone else's car @ 0.8 bar. But according to your sig - you're BPU ? Now, obviously your BPU setup is fine as it is - but seeing as Tricky-Ricky is running Hybrids and possibly on a max of 1.4 bar .... he's obviously got to do something

See my point ?

I agree about the evo type vent John, did this on my S14 and noticed a difference in charge temps, but you do need to be running an under tray, but in running these types of vents on a road car you do suffer the inevitable drainage problems, and if you like shiny engine bays its a nightmare:( i ended up coming up with several drainage channel designs which involved the use of a funnel in order to overcome this.

I'm sure I've seen cooling fans on traders websites. Hmm, I'll to check.

Of course you have

The question is whether they really are an improvement on the stock one.:)

"Aaahahhh .. but I can't uprate anything else needed because it wasn't designed for it. Oh bugger it - I'll run higher boost anyway."

When you change a part or two you create a new balance. It is very easy to 'upgrade' a few parts and yet end up with a less satisfying balance in the end.

Then you have to find excuses and rationalisations to convince yourself that you were not taken for a ride by the aftermarket hype.

Been there, got the T-shirt.:innocent:

Your stockers weren't designed to run 1.2 bar were they ? ;)

Nope, they were not.

And they have seen peaks of 1.6bar, the poor fellars:blink:

They do not operate under normal conditions though and not every day either. I have created a new balance for them, quite devoid of the typical aftermarket offerings.

Still going strong, blessem.:D

I agree some of what your saying. Infact I think I said it was a trade off - afew posts up ;).

But I cannot accept the "that the SMIC will have the edge over the FMIC." Ian C has done a job of venting his bonnet without a scoop. ;) AFAIK, apart from Wez & Tony License - all of the big power cars here are all using FMIC. So, I suggest we agree to disagree. You don't believe a FMIC would be of benefit over a SMIC and vice versa for me.