The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a little bit of road rage - did i over react ?

Suprasteve

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best reaction is to laugh and smile at them, it seems to wind them up even more.

My mate does that, waves too. It gets right up people ;)

I think you might have went a little OTT Steve, although its not like you were going to kill kim, and hopefully he wasn't going to kill you - so a lesson hopefully learnt :)

Gaz.

The question isn't about the series of events leading up to the incident,or who was in the right or wrong when you entered the roundabout but rather your subsequent actions once it had taken place.

You've already answered the question for yourself, or rather your conscience has. What happened at the time was a momentary loss of self control under provocation from the other party.

Looking at it objectively, you over reacted, lost your cool/temper and it could have ended up so badly for you it doesn't bare thinking about.

Next time if it happens, count to ten, take a deep breath, do whatever, but don't do what you did and think about the consequences and the possible effect on others.

You wouldn't want to be another Stephen Cameron, would you?

regardless of who was in the right or wrong nobody should be subjected to verbal abuse. i would have stopped and in a very diplomatic verbal manner made him feel very stupid for being so rude. remember if you lay your hands on somebody first without them going for you then its common assult regardless of whatever they have said to you, the road is always full of witnesses who may not have heard anything but just seen you throwing the guy about in a pychotic manner. so be carefull

easy for me to preach as it has never happened to me

I heard of a local guy who did exactly what you did, only difference is that he ended up in hospital, the other guy got out the car as requested and then beat him half to death.

To many unknowns in this day and age, think yourself lucky and learn from your mistake.

My feelings on this (no surprise in what follows) are the same as Doug's.

What we've all got to remember is that as car nuts that take pride in out motors & drive them properly (well I hope you do), the 'others' out there on the road have only learned to drive and passed a very basic qualification because they have to. To them its a necessity, not a pleasure..... Some even hate driving!!

So, when faced with a total knob you've just got to remember these four words "THEY KNOW NO BETTER". That's the simple truth, and once you identify this then you can shake your head, wave them on and pity them for their poor driving skills.

Keep a calm head on your shoulders, and then drive on by as you pass them further down the road buried into some road furnature!

It's not easy to stay calm when you're in the right and they start cursing and swearing at you when it's so obviously their fault. :D

I was going straight on at a three lane roundabout at the end of the motorway, I was in the middle lane which incidently could also be used for turning right together with the right hand lane.

I was in my long wheelbase van which is much larger than the Supra.

This stupid cow was in the left lane when on the roundabout and decided to turn right , no indicators either. I beeped the horn and braked hard , they had the nerve to turn around and gave me all sorts of abusive.

I decided to follow them as I was fuming,followed them about three miles to the Asda carpark. I had calmed down by then, but I just wanted to know why they thought I was in the wrong.

They stopped their car and, this big bloke who was about 6' 7" and 20 stone got out, he was itching for a fight and was trying to provoke me

Needless to say I was lucky to get away, not that I'm a coward but I knew it just wasn't worth it as you never know what could happen in such a situation.

I ended up apologising to him , I couldn't even speak to him rationally about what had happened, the nutter wouldn't even listen.

The morale of the story is - best to not get involved, you never know what could happen!

Steve I'm surprised at your reaction but I know how you feel, I see this every day on the roads especially in my job, but I understand where you are coming from and agree with your actions(wish sometimes I do the same) As said by others ignore them and carry on your way as at the end of the day you do not know the other person or know what they are carrying but I do see your point( I can imagine his face when you got out to face him lol)

I empathise then. You didn't make it clear from your first post which direction the said guy was coming from and as these sodding small roundabouts can prove confusing to some I had to ask.

Its all well and good to sit behind a keyboard and say "hey keep your cool" and yes those people would be in the right saying as much. But then so would the people that say "don't speed". You are way more likely to kill someone or be killed in a ton plus accident than an incident of road rage. I've had a couple of little incidents myself and its usually gestures from another driver thats done something ridiculous and then given it some thats sparked me off. As far as someone cutting me up goes I find holding the horn on and following them for as long as it takes to get an apology works nicely :D

Let's paint a different scenario, you walk over to his door he voluntarily gets out and stabs you with his knife you had not seen.

It's just not worth it...

or he thinks sod this, there's a loon coming at me, I'll run the bastard over and escape a beating/stabbing/arse whipping...

I'm like a magnet for them :)

Another one this morning, BMW driver (new 3 series) so it can be written off fairly easily but he demonstrated the usual mentality where he did something wrong but chose to vent his frustrations at me.

5 lane motorway, the 2 inside ones are for the M1, the 3 outside for the M621 - he's in the very outside lane of the M621, I'm in the outside of the M1 overtaking a lorry.

All of a sudden he puts his indicator on and moves from lane 3 to lane 1 then starts moving towards the side of me, indicator still on from lane 3....

Car behind me, lorry to my left, I lift and make a gap for him, he pulls in and starts giving me the finger! WTF!

I passed him and he pointed at his eyes as if to say I need to be more observant and then he pointed at the hard shoulder. LOL!!!

I carry on and pull off at the next junction, as he passes he leans over and gives me the old "V" through his passenger window.

And all because I saw him coming and let him in - bless him :)

Guest Phillw454

I think you did the right thing.

Iv your going to sit and think WHAT IF he had a knife then you can apply that to anything, what if you go through a bad neighbourhood and they have knives?

I would of done exactly the same thing. You cant live life by what if's. Ok it was riskey but im sure he wont do it again. What if he didnt stop in time? Could of cause you or someone else some serious damage, now youv made him stop and think.

• 2 weeks later...
You were in the right with regard the highway code and in the wrong with your overeaction! Diplomacy always works!

Diplomacy doesnt always work mate. People in their cars can be very agressive even if they are totaly in the wrong. I drive a bloody big bus all day and obey the highway code like rules from god but i still get verbul abbuse on an almost daily basis because the standard of driving by some is so bad. You cant reason with them even if you calmley explain what they have done wrong they wont listen to you. I quit often feel like getting out and bashing their heads against a wall, but you do have to show some restraint actually pushing them about takes you down to their level. Just say prick and move on is best.