The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dry sump system design

dandan

I know the general layout and have seen them in bits, but I've never designed one myself.

Basically its a shallow sump with a baffe which runs close to the crank and "scrapes" oil from the crank webs. There might need to be some drain holes in the edges of the baffle/scraper to allow oil draining back from the head to re-enter the oil pan.

The pan would have a slight run off (probaby in the direction of the crank rotation) and oil would be channelled towards one or more scavenge pumps, driven off the crankshaft.

The scavenge pumps would route the oil into the top of a separator / tank. Maybe a breather connection off the top of the tank back to the intake system?

There would be a main line off the bottom of the tank to a filter and then back to the main oil pump inlet.

Chris Wilson could probably give you a more detailled description and ideas on sizing the pumps, etc.

HTH.

Thanks for the reply Darren, much appreciated.

I've done one before for a turbocharged Yamaha bike engine, with a one off sump machined to suit which also served as a suspension mounting point too. (Engine in a car btw) Very expensive piece of kit to have CNC'd!!

Dual outlets to a 2 stage pump, and on to the ally tank and then a feed back to the internal oil pump. Turbocharger drain was also plumbed in so it made up quite a trick little system. No baffle/scraper though, it was designed but basically didn't make it due to time constraints!

Basically my brother is now doing the same (different engine and installation details) and I'm trying to help find some information for him to back up my stuff. Pump sizing, flowrates, any specific design requirements etc etc so any good technical info is what I'm after.

If you happen to come by anything you think could be of use, please let me know (if you don't mind)

Cheers

Dan