The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my turbo No2 dead ?

Zed

Went out for a blast with a friend this evening just after doing an oil change to silkolene pro s 10w50 and after about 20 minutes the car suddenly has no boost from turbo 2. Feels fine on turbo 1 and pulls fine but as soon as I get to about 0.6 - 0.7 bar the boost suddenly drops to 0.18 bar and wont go past this. If I back off the throttle for a few seconds then it will start boosting again but only upto 0.6 -0.7 bar, and soon as turbo 2 is supposed to come in it drops again

I pulled over and had a quick look under the bonnet but it was dark and nothing obvious was wrong. However, when I revved it a little with the bonnet still up I heard a new sound from the area of the turbos. The sound could be described like a piece of tin foil as it blows accross the floor, it is definitely a new sound and happens as the revs are falling back down to idle.

No smoke was noticed at all, the avc-r is set at 1.2 bar.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, I'm dreading the possibility of buying new trubo's.

Cheers.:flame Dev

Sounds exactly like the problem i had last year.. 1st turbo was fine boost to 0.7 bar, as soon as reved the car beyond 3800rpm at the point the 2nd turbo should start to spool up.. my boost dropped to 0 bar

it turned out to be a blown second turbo :(

to stop it from dropping to 0 bar i disconnected the hose from the IACV VSV to the main pressure line.. this prevents the 2nd turbo from spooling.. obviously this is a temp mod until you get your 2nd turbo repaired.

Osso, cheers for the reply, what did you go for in terms of replacement turbo's and was it expensive.

Can you recomend anyone.

Does anyone else have any turbo recomendations, does CW do turbo work ?

cheers for your replies.:flame Dev

Dandan, yes the front cat is still in place, but would deterioration of the material inside it cause just the second turbo to not boost at all ?

:)

Sorry, just read the post properly, and it seems quite possible that the leftovers of turbo 2 could be rattling arround in there.

Quick test for ya.. put your car in TTC mode! if you find that neither turbos are spooling up (ie you're getting 0 bar regardless of revs) then the chances are the second turbo is a gonner..

However if you are boosting then it could be simply a problem with the sequential system.