The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Salman Rushdie Knighthood

michael

have u read the book in question? guess not because otherwise you wouldnt make such a comment. If i wrote a book saying your wife was a prostitute who shagged anyone for food and i got a knighthood for it, i hope you'd congratulate me in the same way you congratulate salman rushdie for writing the same things about the prophets wives and daughter.

no i haven't read the book your right, but in a western democracy i am sorry but the guy has the right to write whatever he wants without some intolerant minority telling him what he can not do, i am not a particularly christian person but i will not watch the passion of christ - MY CHOICE - because what i have read of the film i may find it offensive so i simply dont watch it, i dont run around with banners and threaten to behead the film makers, if muslims insist on living in this country they should respect our believes in the same way as if i lived in a muslim country i would respect theirs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country isn't going to fall in line with Muslim ideology. So they either get used to it or move to a Muslim state.

They'll be happier there with no risk of having their feelings hurt etc etc but they will lose many of the freedoms they enjoy in a country like ours.

I reckon those freedoms are enough to keep most of them here so I reckon that, if they want to stay, if they want to have their cake and eat it, they should STFU and stop biting the hand that feeds.

no i haven't read the book your right, but in a western democracy i am sorry but the guy has the right to write whatever he wants without some intolerant minority telling him what he can not do

Fair enough, so it's reasonable that they shouldn't wish him dead for whatever he's done, but what about getting a knighthood? Isn't that a bit far for someone who's obviously caused much hatred from various groups?

Not that I know or am trying to start anything, I hardly even recognise the name, only going on the info in this thread at the moment.

have u read the book in question? guess not because otherwise you wouldnt make such a comment. If i wrote a book saying your wife was a prostitute who shagged anyone for food and i got a knighthood for it, i hope you'd congratulate me in the same way you congratulate salman rushdie for writing the same things about the prophets wives and daughter.

How is that even remotely similar ffs.

Apparently that's what he said about Muhammad in the book.... controversial eh?

Is that what it was all about?

You reckon if someone suggested that Jesus had a wife who was a prostitute it would cause a stir?

This is interesting reading - he was born into a Muslim family himself apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Rushdie

"What is needed is a move beyond tradition, nothing less than a reform movement to bring the core concepts of Islam into the modern age, a Muslim [islamic] Reformation to combat not only the jihadist ideologues but also the dusty, stifling seminaries of the traditionalists, throwing open the windows to let in much-needed fresh air.

It is high time, for starters, that Muslims were able to study the revelation of their religion as an event inside history, not supernaturally above it.

Broad-mindedness is related to tolerance; open-mindedness is the sibling of peace."

Seems a rather sensible chap with an accomplished career to me.

I cannot dispute what you say having not read it, but a little research does suggest you're incorrect.

The following is from Wikipedia which I admit isn't entirely accurate a lot of the time, but is nether less a fair guide.

The publication of The Satanic Verses in September 1988 caused immediate controversy in the Islamic world because of what was perceived as an irreverent depiction of the prophet Muhammad. The title refers to a Muslim tradition that is related in the book. According to it, Muhammad (Mahound in the book) added verses (sura) to the Qur'an accepting three goddesses that used to be worshipped in Mecca as divine beings. According to the legend, Muhammad later revoked the verses, saying the devil tempted him to utter these lines to appease the Meccans (hence the Satanic verses). However, the narrator reveals to the reader that these disputed verses were actually from the mouth of the Archangel Gibriel.

Are there any references to the suggested whore available? I don't really have any more time to look at the moment.

[edit]

Having said that here's something:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/printed-books/satanic-verses-the-salman-rushdie/367419/

Later in his tale of Mahound, Rushdie shows the prophet not realising that his scribe is changing the verses he writes to subvert his message and even has a harem of prostitutes who model themselves on Mahound’s wives (claimed by some Muslims to be as insulting as claiming that the Virgin Mary was a prostitute to a Catholic).

Wives? :sly:

...Any chance to show what a peaceful religion Islam is.

Any religion can be twisted and misinterpeted in order to justify the violent reallocation of scarce resources (ie using guns to grab what the neighbour has got)

Christianity has also been used in the past as an excuse to rape and pilage.

This is yet another struggle of 'haves' and 'have nots', while beating around the bush pretending it to be clash of religions and 'holy books'

It's all about resources - land, oil, water, contracts etc...

It always has been...

I haven't read the book or got the t-shirt, and I doubt I will. I disagree with the knighthood of this jumped up pipsqueak for the following reason. After years of being in hiding and being protected by the police, old SR came out and was less than complimentary about the UK as a whole, throwing a bit of a hissy fit.

I don't give a monkey's stuff about what religion he is or whether he is black, white, yellow, green or violet. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Society as a whole generally is all, me me me, whereas if we actually thought about each other life would be far simpler. I know it is rather a simplistic view and I am liable to be shot down by a few, but hey! what the hell.

no i haven't read the book your right, but in a western democracy i am sorry but the guy has the right to write whatever he wants without some intolerant minority telling him what he can not do, i am not a particularly christian person but i will not watch the passion of christ - MY CHOICE - because what i have read of the film i may find it offensive so i simply dont watch it, i dont run around with banners and threaten to behead the film makers, if muslims insist on living in this country they should respect our believes in the same way as if i lived in a muslim country i would respect theirs

:thumbs: Bang on in my opinion, well said Paul :)

H - love that comment, now in my sig :D hope ya don't mind lolxx

If someone commits suicide bombing to protect the honour of the Prophet Mohammad' date=' his act is justified[/quote']

That pretty much sums up the diminished mentality of these unessecarily agressive and violent f**ks.

There was uproar from the Christians about 'the passion' and 'the davinci code' but did they go trying to kill people or bomb the sh*t out of stuff? no.

why the hell do people have to tread on eggshells in thier own damn country so as not to cause uproar from the minorities? and why do people take that crap so seriously? fair enough, someone insults your religion/way of life. Insult them back.

I don't care what colour or religion a person is, makes no odds to me. I will respect peoples religions and way of life, I will not f**k with that but jeez, if they can't take a bit of stick without going nuts and wanting to kill people...

That pretty much sums up the diminished mentality of these unessecarily agressive and violent f**ks.

They have been told that this is the way to go to paradise, where there is lots of food and women.

Seriously.

So they are not behaving even irrationally (from their own point of view of course!)

Promising riches and rewards in the afterlife is an effective way of having tough and suicidal soldiers for your cause. It's also quite cheap.

Western fighters demand their rewards within this life, plus all the health & safety crap.

Guess who has the edge.:blink:

There was uproar from the Christians about 'the passion' and 'the davinci code' but did they go trying to kill people or bomb the sh*t out of stuff? no.

Because they didn't have to.

Their governments have already used their superior armies to secure most of the planet's wealth.

Do those poor and destitute bastids have a chance to work in the City?

I didn't think so.

Do they even stand a chance to operate in a decent economy where they own their own land and minerals?

Nope;)

I will respect peoples religions and way of life, I will not f**k with that ....

Actually you are doing exactly the opposite, but you don't necessarily realise it.

Behind the 'equality' talk of western governments there is iron-clad manipulation of who profits from what.

And those sad and desperate souls have got nothing to lose if they blow themselves up.

It would be nice if we could step back a bit and try to see the bigger picture. Not what the Sun prints, not what CNN/BBC etc want to portray.

There are millions of desperate people out there who hate our guts and they'll find any excuse to get their fingers on the pie.

It would be nice if we could step back a bit and try to see the bigger picture. Not what the Sun prints, not what CNN/BBC etc want to portray.

You're right. Nobody seems to go to the bother of actually researching things to make an informed argument, instead basing their opinions on hearsay.

Perhaps the knighthood was given to him on purpose....to revive & replenish this anti-Islam feeling around the country & the world, similar to what's evident from some of the posts on here.

Yep it's all a big conspiracy against Islam!!:rolleyes:

Imi, do you actually belive that statement or are you just being argumentative??

H.