The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Salman Rushdie Knighthood

michael

Insulting to Islam?

It seems it could lead to trouble....

If Britain doesn't withdraw the award, all Muslim countries should break off diplomatic relations

If someone commits suicide bombing to protect the honour of the Prophet Mohammad, his act is justified

Pakistan's parliamentary affairs minister Sher Afgan Khan Niazi, who proposed the resolution, said the knighthood would "encourage people to commit blasphemy against the Prophet Mohammad".

And so on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6763119.stm

Personally I do think it's a little silly to give a knighthood to such a hated figure when the government is also attempting to do the whole unity, understanding and tolerance thing but above all I think it's crazy to give a knighthood to someone who writes such crap books.

Discuss...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbs:

I wonder whether the Queen actually knows who the f..k he is. :D

Yeah an intelligent accomplished writer. Do not think he quite deserves a Knighthood but am all for a BIG F U to narrow minded people that use Islam as an excuse to start something.

Plus I could not care who the old dutch gives it too, christ she gave one to Sean Connery.

salman rushdie is the biggest twat of all time end of

why...........cos he had the balls to write a book in [this country] that offended some muslims, and then the ever tolerant muslims then decreed he should errrrrr die, yeah what a twat the nerve of the guy writing stuff like that in a democracy

why...........cos he had the balls to write a book in [this country] that offended some muslims, and then the ever tolerant muslims then decreed he should errrrrr die, yeah what a twat the nerve of the guy writing stuff like that in a democracy

have u read the book in question? guess not because otherwise you wouldnt make such a comment. If i wrote a book saying your wife was a prostitute who shagged anyone for food and i got a knighthood for it, i hope you'd congratulate me in the same way you congratulate salman rushdie for writing the same things about the prophets wives and daughter.

I can see this thread going downhill :p

I think Paul Mac meant that in said democracy anyone has the right to write anything they want to. Clearly not everyone will appreciate it or like it, same as im no fan of some authors.

There are a fair few anti christian books out there also, quite posily numerous Christians sharply breathed in and shook there heads

I believe what paul was highlighting as the problem was the folks that burned effigies and said he should die - little extreme perhaps for a book? ;)

:Popcorn:

This thread is going to kick off, me thinks!! I haven't read the book so I find it difficult to comment. I do have a problem with religion though, why are people so passionate about things that they have no proof of??

I just don't get it!!:rolleyes:

H.

When it was announced I must admit I found it surprising to say the least he was honoured...I just assumed he must've done something worthwhile with his life that I know nothing about. :shrug:

I don't know much about what happened with him other than going into hiding, death threats, religious extremists etc. so it's unfair of me to say he doesn't deserve it without some proper understanding of his life.

As for upsetting Muslims, maybe it's time Christians started getting more offended by things that happen in other countries and donned our suits of armour and red crosses again? There's progression for you...

:Popcorn:

This thread is going to kick off, me thinks!! I haven't read the book so I find it difficult to comment. I do have a problem with religion though, why are people so passionate about things that they have no proof of??

I just don't get it!!:rolleyes:

H.

great post

As for upsetting Muslims, maybe it's time Christians started getting more offended by things that happen in other countries and donned our suits of armour and red crosses again? There's progression for you...

Can we burn a few people while we are at it?, cant beat a decent crusade to decrease the ever spilling infestation!

Like NA drivers and speed?? :p

... when the government is also attempting to do the whole unity, ...

They are?

All I can see is talk and legislation (both can be changed anytime in the future:eyebrows: ) about 'integration' and the like, but actions that indicate otherwise.