The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My little summer project

Mike M

I'm just catching up on this thread and I have to say that you have done a real good job there Mike.

Well done mate and good luck with the next few weeks;)

Thanks very much mate, must admit its good to see it at this stage but i'll be glad to see the bodywork complete now that the weathers starting to turn colder.

Cheers:)

Mike

I'm aiming for november for first mot as long as i use my weber 34 ICTs to run in the motor. 700 odd quid is alot to pay for the 44idfs but will be worth it in the long run. I've a little bit of welding to do on the door posts first then get everything painted and finally the motor fitted.

Cheers

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Another wee update:- Been trying to prep and paint this thing in 10 days before I need to go away to stupid France on a course.

Anyway heres how she is, been at it constantly since last Wed.

29.jpg

Both door posts had to be cut apart and welded up due to lots of rot and they're double skinned. Total PITA but worth it. Been using the old rear valance for scrap metal and fabricating new sections. Times are hard LOL:)

30.jpg

31.jpg

Stupid wire feed on the MIG kept slipping so its a touch on the rough side. Nice and strong tho.

32.jpg

Been using Lechler Green TI primer for the first time, great stuff if things are abit rough to start off with. Built in guide coat apparantly but nothing to get excited about.:D

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

This is todays effort, 3 coats of the lovely 2K + how to make a complete mess of your garage and turn everything orange. including me. LOL

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

So far i'm well chuffed, got a couple of runs to fix but they should rub down.

Now for the doors, bonnet and wings. sigh:(

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hello peeps, not posted here for a while but still the project goes on.

Anyway I've built the engine and just got it fitted last week after a small problem with the clutch plate binding on the release bearing guide:( Easy fix though but worrying at the time seeing as the the engine wouldn't turn when bolted up.

Most of the bodywork is complete apart from flattening, polishing and undersealing.

59.jpg

58.jpg

These were a pain to go on, took me an hour with the 1st one due to the ring compressor slipping sideways. Your kinda working with it backwards on these engines pushing the barrel over the piston instead of the piston into the block.

57.jpg

55.jpg

Nice 1700lbs clutch plate, pedal feels suprisingly light:cool:

56.jpg

Goodies still to go on:-

54.jpg

Exhaust system arrived today hot off the welding bench. Cant wait to hear it.

53.jpg

Twin dual choke weber 44 idfs, I'll save the trumpets for the track maybe;)

Hoping to have it almost complete very soon but i'm getting nervous as I know I'll have to fire her up sometime.:)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, another bit of an update. Its getting there now just a few odds and sods and niggles to iron out.

This was after a week of flattening and polishing.

Heres the best bit so far,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v640/mikemajorek/?action=view&current=MOV00076.flv

My starter is struggling like feck to turnover the engine but its gets there with two batteries. Apparantly it'll get better once the engine is run in. Anyway its very loud even scared the g/f when I revved it LOL.:D

Cant wait to get it on the road.:)

Great project mate only just seen this, I started off with a beetle spent 2 years building mine from scratch was a 1972 1641cc with dual 40 webbers great fun to build and the vw crowd are mad.

good luck with it mate ill keep an eye on this thread now ;)

Wow, thats an exhaust and a half. Nice bug did the build go smoothly or were you like me being constantly suprised by the amount of rot they can hide? I've always thought about a set of porsche wheels for mine they give a nice wide look.

Mike

Wow, thats an exhaust and a half. Nice bug did the build go smoothly or were you like me being constantly suprised by the amount of rot they can hide? I've always thought about a set of porsche wheels for mine they give a nice wide look.

Mike

I wanted to make something different for it and it was a faze round here for having big oval exhausts :)

There was no end to welding mate found gas welding it was the easyest in the end as the metal was so thin the mig would just blow no end of holes, fully stripped the shell and floor pan, rewelded a new nose on the floor pan where the front cross member bolts on, loads of patches on the floor pan, the body had new nose on the front, i made new skins for the bottoms of the doors new rear quarter pannels welded in & heater channels, removed all the handles and fitted solenoids, fitted a ford probe interior. Ended up getting a full apprentiship in welding and fabrication and working in this game for 8 years because of this car :D

I wanted to make something different for it and it was a faze round here for having big oval exhausts :)

There was no end to welding mate found gas welding it was the easyest in the end as the metal was so thin the mig would just blow no end of holes, fully stripped the shell and floor pan, rewelded a new nose on the floor pan where the front cross member bolts on, loads of patches on the floor pan, the body had new nose on the front, i made new skins for the bottoms of the doors new rear quarter pannels welded in & heater channels, removed all the handles and fitted solenoids, fitted a ford probe interior. Ended up getting a full apprentiship in welding and fabrication and working in this game for 8 years because of this car :D

Loads of work mate but then if you were to think about it all at the same time you'd sicken yourself. You were brave taking on a framehead I've not got the skill or the welder to to that LOL:).

Is it still on the road?

Loads of work mate but then if you were to think about it all at the same time you'd sicken yourself. You were brave taking on a framehead I've not got the skill or the welder to to that LOL:).

Is it still on the road?

yer was a big job mate wont be going that far into restoration projects again :) I sold it about 4 years ago No idea what happened to it, crunch line for me was spending 2.5k on a rebuilt engine then gettin gmy arse kicked my a sprinter van :blink: sold it for 5k an bought a 300zx twin turbo to cheer my self up :D

crunch line for me was spending 2.5k on a rebuilt engine then gettin gmy arse kicked my a sprinter van :blink: sold it for 5k an bought a 300zx twin turbo to cheer my self up :D

LOL, it happens although i thought the 1641 with dual 40's would have been fairly nippy. I used to be stock 1585cc with twin 34 icts pushing a massive 60 HP:D. This new motor is going to be a little different i reckon, scoobies better watch out or more likely the box is going to fail big style:)

LOL, it happens although i thought the 1641 with dual 40's would have been fairly nippy. I used to be stock 1585cc with twin 34 icts pushing a massive 60 HP:D. This new motor is going to be a little different i reckon, scoobies better watch out or more likely the box is going to fail big style:)

it was fairly quick but the box was standard and 80mph was pushing it for max speed lol

what box are you going to run?

it was fairly quick but the box was standard and 80mph was pushing it for max speed lol

what box are you going to run?

em, stock 1300 for now apparantly they will take 150hp but drag starts will kill it. Wont go much past 100mph as i'll be running out of revs but should be fun getting there:d

If i kill it i have plans for a stronger box with a longer 4th ratio for cruising. We'll see how things pan out.:)

Oh well back to work the morn again still no MOT yet:( but its not far away now.

Few finishing off bit to do like polishing the rest of the wheels and fitting the chrome spinners. Need to underseal the floorpans black then add some more grey to the arches. If i'd more time and paint I would have liked it to be all orange under there.

But the to do list is finally into single figures:)

• 4 weeks later...

Its going in for the big MOT tomorrow and i'm not looking forward to it. Been checking stuff over and pretty confident its gonna be fine but the starter is playing up on warm starts barely turning over. I think it must be the compression increasing once its warmed up.

Would like it pass anyway seeing as the sups burst its rad.:(

Well here it is.

Passed MOT last monday no probs. Had to lift the front up about half an inch due to the wing trying to reshape my tyre but all ok now.

Done around 130 mile and its freeing off abit now just the other 870 to go:) Feels nippy although just revving to 3.5k the now and feck me the noise from the carbs and exhaust is something else.:D

Cheers

Mike