The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My little summer project

Mike M

Looks like the sups on the back burner for the summer.:)

I'm planning on having some fun with the 73 vw bug and hopefully get it out on knockhill a few times. This is my list so far for the engine plus I want to fit some weber 44IDF's , electric fuel pump,electronic ignition and a full flow oil system. Hopefully be pushing at least 140hp so should give some scoobies a fright on the take off. LOL

2017CC Engine Kit

Crankcase: Mag AS41 2017cc caseCrankcase fittings: Case hardware and fitting kitGasket and Seals: Elring gasket set and silicon crank sealCrankshaft: CB 78.4mm forgedCrank Fitting Kit: Crank Fitting KitBarrel and Piston Kit: Mahle 90.5 Stroker kitConrods: CB Unitech RodsCylinder Heads: 044 Magnum 40x35.5Flywheel: Chromoly 13lb flywheel 8 dowelCylinder Studs: Chromoly 8mm studsGland Nut: Chromoly 38mm Gland NutBearing Kit: Main Bigend and DT cam bearingsOil Pump: CB Maxi 5Camshaft: Engle FK7(1.4 rockers)Cam Gear: Scat Straight cut steelCam Followers: Scat LightweightPushrods: Manton chromolyRockers: CB Pro 1.4 rocker setRocker Shaft: HD Bolt up shaft kitShims and Studs: End play shims and dowel pinsPushrod Tubes: Zinc Plated stdDynamic Balancing: Crank Flywheel ClutchClutch: Kennedy stage 1Clutch Centre Plate: Daiken HD

Got the adjustable rear suspension sitting in the garage to go on along with camber compensator bar and ARB but at least the brakes are all done now.

Its then gonna need new wings, door, bonnet, front & rear aprons and a respray.:)

All good honest fun.(it will just look like a stock bug too):eyebrows:

Mike

Put the Porsce in it mate. You know you wanna. :eyebrows:

:) Its a bit on the heavy side for a bug and a tight squeeze. I do have an engine out of a vw 411 sitting that was designed alongside the Porsche 914/6 motor but they're hard to get parts for. Great fun tho, seen some bugs running 280hp with them. Absolutely fecking mental.:D

280bhp BUG?? fooking hell Hope they used spring washers and locktight on ALL bolts holding the car together..LOL

LOL, they have to weld in a roll cage to stop the body flexing on hard launches. 140hp will be mad enough for me they only weigh in about 740kgs and should be around the 5sec mark to 60.:D

Nah, cant bring myself to put a scooby motor in PITA routing coolant hoses then fitting a rad somewhere up front. I like the vw engines and carbs especially the induction noise.

Sounds intresting m8

I'm gonna be busy LOL. Its in for an MOT the morn I hope it passes so I dont need to SORN it come August. Then the strip down begins.:cool:

:) Its a bit on the heavy side for a bug and a tight squeeze. I do have an engine out of a vw 411 sitting that was designed alongside the Porsche 914/6 motor but they're hard to get parts for. Great fun tho, seen some bugs running 280hp with them. Absolutely fecking mental.:D

Might have come across a VW camper with one of these in on the M27 recently. It was absolutely flying past Mercs, Bm's and such. FasF

:)

If I had the money I'd like to put one of those in a Bug.

Good luck with the project mate and keep us posted! Have you got any photos to show??

Cheers mate. :)

No pics just yet, It failed its MOT on Monday on a front ball joint so its now officially off the road. The engines ordered and I managed to get the height adjustable torsion bar arms on before heading back offshore.

When I get back I'll be dropping out the engine/box and the rear bodywork so I can get the chassis cleaned up and the new box mounts fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally home from work yesterday and made a start today. It's gonna need a little welding but I think in general evrythings fairly solid.

I'll drop out the box so I can get the angle grinder wire brush in more places and fit some new mounts. The whole chassis will get treated then black hammerite then black stonechip.

7.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Found a big crack in here where one of the inlet manifolds had been rubbing and thunping the bodywork.

1.jpg

My next project, stripping the old engine down ready for something (dunno what for yet but it'll be ready LOL):)

5.jpg

Nice car Mike. I refurbished a whole beetle 'shell' approx 3-months ago and it took the best part of 150-hours of work to prep and paint the shell. The beetle's are bloody difficult to prep, fill and repair as they are similiar to tin-cans with dints.

The end product was amazing and we put wide arches, sills and a spoiler and turned it in to Herby.

Great project (great thread too) and good luck mate;)

Nice car Mike. I refurbished a whole beetle 'shell' approx 3-months ago and it took the best part of 150-hours of work to prep and paint the shell. The beetle's are bloody difficult to prep, fill and repair as they are similiar to tin-cans with dints.

The end product was amazing and we put wide arches, sills and a spoiler and turned it in to Herby.

Great project (great thread too) and good luck mate;)

Cheers guys.

Sounds like a good job you done there mate. Sure is alot of work in doing them right, five years ago I pulled the body off the chassis and that was a summer of work with heater channels, floor pans and inner wing repairs. Now I'm catching up with all the bits I should have done back then LOL.:)

• 1 month later...

Managed to get on abit further recently so here are a few pics.

10.jpg

New bumper support panel welded in.

12.jpg

Another bumper panel welded.

11.jpg

15.jpg

Really need to get this cleaned up and back in on the chassis forks just so I can get the car rolling again.

14.jpg

Bit of a difference from the previous pics with all the rust.

All the chassis will get sprayed with black stonechip and the bodywork underneath will get grey stone chip over the gray I've been painting on.

The gray paint is meant to be really good stuff, POR 15. Takes a week for it to come off your skin. I'm also using POR 15 Metal ready which is a Phosphoric acid with Zinc that treats the metal leaving a gray/white surface. Only time will tell though.:)

Here's a link if anyones interested

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=28&frostCat=Rust

13.jpg

Keep finding rot when I decide to poke about.

Still waiting on the rear apron for welding, the engine is built but not with me yet. Loads more work than I bargained for anyway. LOL.

Cheers

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Woohoo Christmas has come early.:) Lots of stuff arrived today so now I can make some real progress.

18.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

Huge inlet valves and dual springs look great, the spark plug size is weird in that its a good bit smaller than normal so i'll need to look into what type is used. Just to get a gasket kit really and steal bits and pieces off the old motor. Oh, carbs and an exhaust will come in handy.

Cant wait to fire this up although I'm nervous.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:-

Been working solid on it for the last week and a half and finally the wheels are back on.

All the chassis is back together now after a clean and paint. Passenger side driveshaft seal had started leaking but I'll forgive it(34year original):)

Other than that the new long travel balljoints were fitted on the front for the lowered suspension and now the whole chassis needs some black stonechip. Oh and now the bodywork / respray begins.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Cheers for looking:)

Mike