The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes not up to it?

Ian C

All, and by that I mean Chris Wilson :D ,

While testing my nice new working-ignition single turbo I wound the car up to 170lph and braked as hard as I could. While the retardation was immense, I couldn't get the ABS to cut in no matter how hard I pressed and I'm sure I got the pedal down to the floor at one point. I can't believe my worn Pirelli's are that good, so what's going on there then? The brakes were fine afterwards, in fact the pedal felt a bit better :confused:

I've got:

All round UK spec calipers

Stock UK spec discs

CW fast road pads

Motul brake fluid (er, rbf600 or is that a motorbike? Well, it's the stuff Chris Wilson likes anyway)

This behaviour only seems to manifest when I'm braking from daft speeds down to 'normal' ones (170 down to 80 sorta thing)

I don't think the fluid is boiling, it got new fluid and a flush less than a year ago, it brakes in a straight line... Do I need the track pads? I can't believe the UK spec system isn't up to the job, please no daft suggestions of £2500 brake upgrades :p

-Ian

Maybe it's worth finding more abrasive and probably shorter life pads with a higher Mu (friction not the company) rating? They will cause more brake dust though.

Or maybe it's caused my gas build up not allowing you to press the pads onto the disc hard enough.

I would try either, new short life Hi Mu pads or slotted discs to dissipate gasses better....or both :)

Ian, I have exactly the same brake spec as you and have been very pleased with the performance. Although not braking from the mega speeds you mention I too have performed a couple of brake tests in the dry running F1's from about 60ish and have managed to activate the ABS.

HTH

Rich