The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car seized help needed

supradibbs

No relax not the supra buti need some advise

I was and thought still was insured with norwich union on my peugeot 306, anyway back in january of this year i contacted norwich union and asked for my supra to be added to the policy

well long story short i get a routine stop by a traffic cop on the way home from work after the usual checks my car comes up unisured wtf!!!! i think,so i gets on to the blower to the insurance company they tell me yeah you changed the vechile to a toyota supra not had it added oh dear i think and i seems my policy expired anyway on the 17th of last month but as i in ther eyes no longer insurured on the 306 with them i recieved no letter from them like you normally do to renew it so it completly sliped my mind

Anyway the cops would not let me insure the car there and then so it was towed i now have to await a new cover note to enable me to collect the car from the lock up!

So the cops say it wll go to court and to expect at least 6 points and a fine great!!!!

where do i stnd on this i plan to get a soliciter and fight it and have requested the tapes are pulled by norwch union

No relax not the supra buti need some advise

I was and thought still was insured with norwich union on my peugeot 306, anyway back in january of this year i contacted norwich union and asked for my supra to be added to the policy

well long story short i get a routine stop by a traffic cop on the way home from work after the usual checks my car comes up unisured wtf!!!! i think,so i gets on to the blower to the insurance company they tell me yeah you changed the vechile to a toyota supra not had it added oh dear i think and i seems my policy expired anyway on the 17th of last month but as i in ther eyes no longer insurured on the 306 with them i recieved no letter from them like you normally do to renew it so it completly sliped my mind

Anyway the cops would not let me insure the car there and then so it was towed i now have to await a new cover note to enable me to collect the car from the lock up!

So the cops say it wll go to court and to expect at least 6 points and a fine great!!!!

where do i stnd on this i plan to get a soliciter and fight it and have requested the tapes are pulled by norwch union

sounds crap mate but doubt you will get anywhere as it will be down to you to check the policy when it arrives:(

You're certainly doing the right thing regarding the tapes but you might struggle to get them. If you do then you may have a good case. The insurance will fight saying that you will have recieved documents stating what you are insured on. Set up a meating with a solicitor (1st should be free) and they can advise better.

You're certainly doing the right thing regarding the tapes but you might struggle to get them. If you do then you may have a good case. The insurance will fight saying that you will have recieved documents stating what you are insured on. Set up a meating with a solicitor (1st should be free) and they can advise better.

i reieved no docs for either car well i will swear on a stack of bibles

i reieved no docs for either car well i will swear on a stack of bibles

:D you realize a bible is one of them big thick books don,t you, you don,t strike me as the sort of guy to pray wayne:D well not until this mishap anyway;)

Doesnt sound like you have much hope. Under the freedom of information act you are entitled to all information stored about you, this would include copies of tapes of calls, if recorded in the first place. You can request copies of the policy notepads which a memo is/should be entered when all action/calls are taken on a policy or claim.

Request copies of the tapes and a full printout of policy notepads. There will probably be an admin fee.

However from a legal point of view regarding not receiving a a renewal notice from them...you dont really have a leg to stand on as they are not required to send out a renewal notice. Good luck!

Even if you get tapes, I think your case is incredibly weak. You added the Supra to an existing policy and the insurer mistakenly removed the 306. Fair enough - but :

- You either didn't get updated docs (and didn't chase them) or did, and didn't check them

- You didn't know your insurance had expired, and hence both cars were uninsured anyway

Although the insurance company should have notified you that it was about to run out, it's not their fault that it did (it could have got lost in the post after all).

I've seen threads before about people being hit by uninsured drivers. If a thread like that started, and we were told the uninsured driver had added a car to his policy, it had mistakenly resulted in the existing car being removed, but then the policy had run out anyway and the poor guy hadn't received a renewal through from the insurance and hadn't noticed it had run out - I'm pretty sure most people on here would suggest he was hung drawn and quartered.

Whatever the insurance company did or didn't do, I think the courts will feel that you also had responsibilities and should have known there was a problem.

Sounds like a def 6 pointer :(

How do you add an extra car to an existing Norwich union policy? Do they do multi car or alike?

And when they swapped the Supra onto the existing policy surely the renewal date would of stayed the same as the old policy? Normally they send mutiple renewal letters and warnings when you reach and go past renewal.

But as you've had no policy at all since last month it looks bad.

Am sorry to say sound like the old bill have got you by the b@lls :(

er yes, the last 4 compaines i've been with have

co-op

Tesco

More than

Adrian flux

I've been with Tesco's and they didn't. They send you renewal reminders - but if you don't do anything most don't automatically assume you're insured with them.

Apart from anything else - that would mean they automatically took payment, which would be a bad thing indeed.

Usually it's a fixed penalty at the roadside for 6 points and £200 fine. If it goes to court you may well het more than this unless you have very good mitigating circumstances.

Then once you have certificate of insurance for the vehicle in question, or a friend has then you can collect the vehicle but will still have to pay the recovery costs and storage fee.

i pay anually too, but seriously wayne go for the first free solicitor first, come out with some sob story may be a better angle than you have now, wish you well mate otherwise you will be paying anally never mind anually;)

I suspect you will not avoid the standard fine and points but my only advice would be to take as many old doc's outlining how much you have paid in the past with you as possible........

........at least then they will see that it was an oversight...........despite it almost certainly making no difference to the outcome it would be important for me to get this over......