The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a SIM card for the US

Soop Dogg

I'm off to the US in a few weeks and want to buy a SIM card for my mobile so that I don't have to pay extortionate rates for calling friends over there.

Has anyone here done this before and can recommend where I can get a card from?

I know there are various suppliers on Ebay, but like to buy on recommendation.

:)

No idea fella from me, never been there, would always love to go...

I'll ask a couple of friends and see what they say...

(Couldn't you e-mail your friends and ask??)

I would - but my trip is a surprise (I have a kind of 'foster-mother' who doesn't know I'm coming to see her!) and I'll be staying the first few days in a hotel in Minneapolis, which is quite a few miles from where those who know I'm visiting actually live. (Otherwise I'd get them to drop off a sim card at the hotel)

Unfortunately I need to get a card either before I travel or as soon as I get there.

Erm,

When I was based in NY, the phones I had didn't have a simcard.. it was the phone that was coded with the number. They do however now use GSM so there COULD be a pay as go verizon SIM card I assume. You would just need to ensure your phone was unlocked.

Get yourself a pay as u go cingular (now AT&T) sim card from ebay before u go.

If u buy them in the us in shops they are much more expensive and dont usually have any free top up on.

They go for about 7 dollar on ebay with 10 dollar credit

from a shop they are 25 bucks sans credit!

cingular is probably the best as its only 2.5p per text even if u text back to the UK.U do get charged to receive texts tho, but at 5c each it wont break the bank.Make sure ur phone is unlocked before u go. Its real hard to get it unlocked in the US.

I moved to the states a couple of months ago so i have been thru all this already!